Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is anybody having troubles connecting to MSN messenger with Kopete or Gaim? I have three distros and none of them can connect to MSN either through Kopete or Gaim but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MSN on Kopete of Gaim?

Is anybody having troubles connecting to MSN messenger with Kopete or Gaim? I have three distros and none of them can connect to MSN either through Kopete or Gaim but my brother's laptop with windows can
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

MSN is working fine here. They did upgrade to Windows Live Messenger recently, I wonder if there is a new protocol due out, or if it has hit. Last time that happened I remember many people reported it before it affected us over here.

I even updated to the last version of Kopete to see if that works but no, it says that the actio n is not supported
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It happened to me because my password contained "strange" characters like /#@. Try changing you password or using aMSN.

"Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz

My password also contain special characters because it wont let me change if i dont put a high security password using symbols, letter and numbers.

Well that doent matter anyway, my computer's processor got fryed this morning ...
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    I never had problems connecting to MSN through Gaim but I have through Kopete. I found a work around by creating a Jabber account in Kopete and subscribing to a MSN gateway.

Click on the account icon (the small light on the right hand side of the statusbar)
    Select "Services..." and retrieve the list of services from the server.
    Select the gateway you want and click "subscribe"

If your server doesn't have the gateway you want, you still can use the gateway of another server. It seems that you have to choose development version (with tag "DEVELOPMENT") of transport to work with MSN.

Servers that are known to support it:
    jabber.org.uk
    myjabber.net
    bloodyxml.com
    borderlinenormal.com

Enter here your MSN login and password. Now all your MSN contacts will be added to the Jabber list. Also your contacts will see you as your MSN account and not your Jabber. However using a Jabber gateway can be limiting.