Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry for the slightly obscure headline, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it. I run xubuntu and windows 2000 on my old IBM netvista s40. Xubuntu/ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux / windows hardware problems?

Sorry for the slightly obscure headline, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it.

I run xubuntu and windows 2000 on my old IBM netvista s40. Xubuntu/ubuntu runs perfectly well, everything working from first install. Windows on the other hand freezes reguarly, especially in broser. Even from a fresh reinstall.
    Now, i know this is not a spyware/virus/whatever problem as i have reinstalled a number of times, and no spyware/viruses is to be seen in registry/startup/processes and my software doesn't find anything either.

I tried several different ram-sticks, and the problem stays, so it isn't that. I'm suspecting a hardware or driver-problem but i don't know how to tackle this problem, and it is especially strange how linux manages to work perfectly.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Howdy there. I'm just going to let you know that, as this is a Linux forum, it is very unlikely that you will receive a helpful solution to a Windows problem.

I recommend you check another forum more suited to your purpose.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Howdy there. I'm just going to let you know that, as this is a Linux forum, it is very unlikely that you will receive a helpful solution to a Windows problem.

I recommend you check another forum more suited to your purpose.
    Yes, i know. But Linux is a part of the equation here as well. Since windows is no good, i was hoping to figure out the problem through linux or for example the way linux handles hardware defects compared to windows or something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    is your windows current? try XP or something and if it works ok, your old windows is just bad and has outdated drivers. the linux kernel has newer drivers thus can handle your computer.