Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: has ne one tried familiar linux on there ipaq?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 33.33%
  • no

1 33.33%
  • whats an ipaq?

1 33.33%
i was just wondering if someone could help me .... im trying to set up a ppp connection with my linux box and my ipaq so i can transfer files. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

familiar linux on IPAQ 3825

i was just wondering if someone could help me .... im trying to set up a ppp connection with my linux box and my ipaq so i can transfer files. i have the ipaq to use a hayes compatible modem on com1 and i cant change this setting but on my linux box it shows ttyS1 and ttyS2 and not ttyS0 like the instructions for installing say com1 is usually found on. i checked my bios and enable all serial ports but i was wondering if they have to be on a certain irq or something.... i am still new to the linux thing and would appreciate any help with this topic as i am getting very sick of windows hahaha (had to add that in )

Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure just what the problem was? You're not running Linux on the iPaq, right? COM1 is ttyS0 in Linux.
    Anyway, can you describe the actual problem?

Just Joined!
    sorry for that...the problem is that my ipaq cannot connect to the linux box and i think its because its looking for a ttyS0 when all i have is ttyS1 and ttyS2

Just Joined!
    oh and no i am running pocket pc on the ipaq and i wanna put familiar linux on it ggrrrrr, im geting angry at myself sorry for the confusion...

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that you only have ttyS1 and ttyS2? Very, very few people don't have a ttyS0. I'm assuming that you're connecting you iPaq and PC with a Null modem cable, right? What kind of symptoms are you getting?

Just Joined!
    yeah i am connecting throught serial cable and im am getting an error cannot connect to host i just rechecked my /dev and i only see ttys1 ttys2 ppd is running i checked the logs but maybe its set up on a different port?? do the devices disappear from the directory when they are in use???

Linux Guru
    Oh, I see, you don't have the _file_ /dev/ttyS0. No, the files most certainly don't disappear while they are in use. Run "mknod /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64" to recreate the /dev/ttyS0 file.

Just Joined!
    ok that worked!!! thanks a lot