Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, FC5 I'm prepared using an USB enclosure as backup device for the data on /home/user What I'm looking for is a tool/method whenever I save a file on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Backup on USB enclosure

Hi folks,

FC5

I'm prepared using an USB enclosure as backup device for the data on /home/user

What I'm looking for is a tool/method whenever I save a file on /home/user a duplicate copy will be saved automatically on /mnt/point/of/usb_enclosure/home/user, similar to replication/mirroring. Please advise what tool shall I use? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Well, I'm sure that there's some sort of tool that will do this for you, but I don't know what it is. However, in the absence of such a thing, I would recommend you look into rsync, and just sync the USB directory to the home drive using a cronjob every night.

It's not quite the same as what you're looking for, but it may be workable, depending on how how exactly you need it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm just doing that very thing right now. However mine is strictly a backup, not a mirror. I am bzip-tarring the relevant directories now and later I will run a cron job to do differential backups based on the time of the last backup.
    Check through the manpage for tar. The specific option is -m or -modification-time. This is the same method that is generally used for tape backups.

Linux Guru
    Hi bigtomrodney,

Tks for your advice.

However mine is strictly a backup, not a mirror. I am bzip-tarring the relevant directories now
    I'm doing the same way as yours and burn the compressed tarball on DVD.

and later I will run a cron job to do differential backups based on the time of the last backup.
    I'm reluctant to run incremental backup because the old files won't be deleted and replaced with the new file,

Still such arrangement does not satisfy me in case of HD failure. Because there are sitll some files missing.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    Hi Sam Liu,

Tks for your URL.

Visited its site and found following documents;

Documentation

Build Requirements
    http://multisync.sourceforge.net/art...art&id=4&cat=1
    Compiling
    http://multisync.sourceforge.net/art...art&id=3&cat=1
    Download multisync from sourceforge cvs