Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I'm trying to install a program called pango on FC4, which wants Glib 2.10 or above. So I installed Glib 2.12.2. Or so I thought... However in the config.log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to check the version of a program?

hi,

I'm trying to install a program called pango on FC4, which wants Glib 2.10 or above.
    So I installed Glib 2.12.2. Or so I thought...

However in the config.log I see it says I'm running Glib 2.6.6. So I assume this is a default with FC4.

I remember I had a similar problem with GCC, where I needed to change the new installation version to the default. Only thing was I can't remember how this is accomplished. Are there general commands to check which version of a program you are using and to change the default version?... sorry if it's a dumb question.

Some programs will give you their version information if you type programname --version in a terminal. Java and GCC are like this.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Looking in my /usr/lib directory, it looks like all of the glib libraries have their version appended to the name. If I do this
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/lib | grep libglib
    I can see that certain ones are links to certain other ones, so I can be certain which ones will be used in case their versions differ.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks techiemoe.... that was it... "gcc -v" for the version.... doesn't work on glib though...

I found from another round of googling that I could get the new version properly installed by using
    ./configure –prefix=/usr

over a straight ./configure

so I'm happy. Thanks for your insights.