Find the answer to your Linux question:
when i log into Red Hat it gives me this error after ptting ni name and pass Could not look up internet address for x1-6-00-40-ca-b5-35-db. This will prevent GNOME from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Logon RedHat 8

when i log into Red Hat it gives me this error after ptting ni name and pass

Could not look up internet address for x1-6-00-40-ca-b5-35-db.
    This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
    It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
    x1-6-00-40-ca-b5-35-db to the file /etc/hosts

It gives me choices

Try Again or Log In Anyways

What does this mean and what should i do about it

Linux Guru
    Try (as root) to open the file /etc/sysconfig/network, and change the HOSTNAME entry (which I'm guessing is set to localhost or localhost.localdomain right now) to something. It can be basically anything (as long as it's alphanumeric; a-z, 1-9, no spaces), eg. linuxbox. Then reboot your computer and see if it's still happening. (Yes, of course it's possible to do without rebooting, but I just don't describe that way now)

Linux Enthusiast
    this is because you are telling your computer that the DHCP server (your cable internet provider) is the one that provides you with your hostname. Somewhere in /etc/sysconfig there is an option for turning this off. I had to read through the scripts myself to find it. I know you have to put something in ifcfg.eth0 to tell it to disregard the DHCP hostname. This is done with the -H flag to dhcpcd I think, so if you `grep -- -H ifup` it might show you some more info.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    When I checked ifup, it turned out that it replaces the current hostname with the one that came from the ISP if the pre-set one was "localhost" or "localhost.localdomain". I'm not really sure what happens if it's something less standard, but I'd guess that it doesn't interfere then.

Linux Enthusiast
    dolda: on 7.3 there was an actual value you could set to get it to pass the -H parameter to dhcpcd. I forget what it was though.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I remember that. We had a posting about this before, didn't we? However, RedHat 8 uses dhclient by default, and I don't really know much about it. I almost immediately replaced it with pump, since my DDNS didn't like dhclient.

Linux Newbie
    i had that error when i first installed linux and it just went on its own

Linux Enthusiast
    nothing in linux just "goes on it's own". You probably downloaded a RedHat patch for it.