Find the answer to your Linux question:
Code: /dev/sda5 9.2G 2.5G 6.3G 29% /usr /dev/sda6 950M 536M 367M 60% /usr/portage /dev/sda7 2.8G 1.3G 1.4G 49% /usr/portage/distfiles I recently moved my home server onto a new harddrive and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Space left on device - only 60% used ??

Code:
    /dev/sda5             9.2G  2.5G  6.3G  29% /usr
    /dev/sda6             950M  536M  367M  60% /usr/portage
    /dev/sda7             2.8G  1.3G  1.4G  49% /usr/portage/distfiles
    I recently moved my home server onto a new harddrive and created a new partition layout for /usr. I keep getting this error and cant figure out why.
    Code:
    rsync: mkstemp "/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1/vserver/.packages.dpsxoj" failed: No space left on device (28)
    Obviously there is still space left on the partition, it is a 1 gig partition and I tried deleteing everything and re-syncing but with same results. Seems 536 is the maximum I can put on there...

EDIT* Is it possible that since this is such a small partition (relatively) Is there some type of maximum number of files and or folders that can fit?

EDIT** Well, I just removed a few directories and proceded to download a nice 500 meg ISO into that directory.. finished and showed the partition at 99% so I can only assume that there is some type of file/folder limit. Is there a way to change this value?

1st why make them all partitions? put them all back into the /usr one and you'll be fine.. and no theres no file/folder size but why would you make partitions that small for gentoo even? I use gentoo and when you sync you need more room that is the reason your grtting the error ..

e.g mine

3.5G /usr/portage/distfiles/
    0.6G /usr/portage/

yes I know your have room for 0.6G but it needs room to sync

Just Joined!
    There is a limit to the number of files/folders you can have on any one partition. This is true for any filesystem but its such a high number the chances of hitting it are very slim, unless of course you have around 150,000 files in a small space... For 1Gig partition it creates about 130,000 inodes... just under what I needed.
    Code:
    The maximum number of inodes (and hence the maximum number of files and directories) is set when the file system is created.
    If V is the volume size in blocks, then the default number of inodes is given by {V}/{2^{13}}, and the minimum by {V}/{2^{23}}. The default was deemed sufficient for most applications.

The entire portage tree was about 147,000 files, so I set the Inode value to 150,000. I can always raise it later and resync again.

mke2fs -j -N 150000 -L Portage /dev/sda6

As far as why I did it this way, well first off I wanted distfiles on its own directory so as to not eat up space on /usr with source code. Next I share out the /usr/portage tree to many different machines rather than have all of those machines keep a copy of it and have to update them all constantly and saves bandwidth on all those servers out there.

Syncing doesnt use up any more space on the machine unless new packages are added to the tree and then its only what.. 1 or 2 meg per package... Compiling takes up space, temporarily, and that space is still in the default spot of /var/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close