Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know where to put this post. Does anyone know if the new Vista technology Readyboost and Readydrive ,which are supposed to be able to use flash memory and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hybrid Drives and Linux

I don't know where to put this post.

Does anyone know if the new Vista technology Readyboost and Readydrive ,which are supposed to be able to use flash memory and take advantage of future hybrid drives with flash memory, are licensed (to Microsoft only)?

It would be a shame if other operating systems can't take advantage of the features of future hybrid drives just because of license infringement.

Based on Wikipedia's article, Readyboost seems to be Vista using flash memory as swap files, essentially: this could theoretically be done by any OS, so I don't see why it would be Vista-only.

ReadyDrive is Vista support for hybrid drives: while the drive manufacturers may be collaborating with Microsoft at first (I don't know if they are or not), undoubtedly there will eventually be Linux support.

that's good to know 'cause I don't want vista but I want hybrid drives. Current drives are too slow. I looked at reviews online and my three year old hard drive is not that noticeably slower than new hard drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close