Find the answer to your Linux question:
I asume Linux can use java. is there a plugin to download or somthing similar?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Java?

I asume Linux can use java. is there a plugin to download or somthing similar?

Linux User
    Just an FYI : Google is your friend. This is something that I found doing a search for "java with linux"

Q: How do I install Java?
    A: The easiest way is to use Sun's Java RPM:

1. Go to the Java Runtime Download Page.
    2. Scroll down and find the line that says "Linux RPM in self-extracting file." Click on the "Download" link in the JRE column. (If you want to develop Java software get the SDK, and alter the rest of these directions appropriately. Also set export JDK_HOME="$JAVA_HOME" in the java.sh below.)
    3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit "Accept."
    4. Click on the big link to download. Save the file in your home directory. The download will take a little while.
    5. Open a Terminal.
    6. Type sh j2re*rpm.bin
    7. Become root. (su -)
    8. Type rpm -Uvh j2re-*.rpm -- there will be a bit of whirring.
    9. Create a file called java.sh in /etc/profile.d/ (If you're not too sure about how to do this, the easiest way is gedit /etc/profile.d/java.sh)
    10. This file should contain the following lines (with the first line modified appropriately, according to what's actually in /usr/java/):
    export JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02"
    export JAVA_PATH="$JAVA_HOME"
    export PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"
    11. Type chmod +x /etc/profile.d/java.sh
    12. Java should now work properly. You will need to log in and log out for some things to function properly.

To install the browser plugin for java, as root, do: ln -sf /usr/java/<YourJavaDirectory>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -- note that you need to replace <YourJavaDirectory> with the name of the actual directory that's there.

(Note: For the SDK, the plugin is /usr/java/<YourJavaDirectory>/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so -Thanks to Rob Hoeft for this.)

(Thanks to Andre Robatino and "m d" for suggesting the /usr/lib/mozilla/ directory instead of the version-specifc one. Thanks to Kai Thomsen for noting that you only have to login-logout, not reboot.)

Linux Engineer
    Don't bother with the RPM version if your distro doesn't handle it. Just download the other bin file and run it.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close