Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, I appoligize if this is the incorrect forum for this question. It seemed like the closest one to my problem. Now onto the problem. One of my customers recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to chance file permissions

First, I appoligize if this is the incorrect forum for this question. It seemed like the closest one to my problem. Now onto the problem.

One of my customers recently broght me a external drive (He was using on a mac) that his mac would no longer mount the drive. He is a graphic designer and has ALOT of data on the drive that would be devestating for him to loose. We tried to mount the drive on a few differnt macs and PC's (running XP) and nothing would see it. Linux to the resuce! I boot to my SUSE 10.1 partition and it mounted to problem. I was very happy until I tried to copy the data. I get a file permision error. After looking at the permisions basicly the only person that has access to do anything other then open the files is the owner, who of couse isnt present on my linux partition.

So my question is this. Is there a way that I can change the file permissions that will allow me to copy the data to another drive? Unfortuanetly I am not terribly fluent in linux. I put it on my laptop so I could begin learning it but havent gotten very far. Any help would be greatly appericated.

Thanks all.

Hi !!

you must be root for this.... are you logged in as root/superuser ???
    which command you used to mount external HardDisk........ ???

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I didnt actully use a command to mount the drive, I plugged it in via USB and it mounted itself. I am however using the filemanager in superuser mode.

what's the output of:
    Code:
    mount
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>