Find the answer to your Linux question:
he already has an OS, he's just having problems w/ the bootloader finding it to run. this problem CAN be caused by a hardware failure, but it's not always gonna ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

he already has an OS, he's just having problems w/ the bootloader finding it to run.

this problem CAN be caused by a hardware failure, but it's not always gonna manifest it self like that.

I believe the more easily fixed problem has occurred. If you installed 98se (gasp) over linux, the boot sector was probably violated by the 98se install...

have you rerun "lilo" or "liloconf"? They will reinstall LILO to the drive and make the second stage loader look in the right spot...which apparently it is not, hence the L 99 99 99 99 ...
    Please don't eat me! I'm trying to prep an old Vaio laptop for someone who is disabled and I want to make it W98 (what originally came with this laptop - I have the restore CDs). I am sure my friend would not be able to handle linux. I myself a stumbler with Linux. Someone installed linux on this machine, though. I tried to repartition/reformat the drive, then used the System Reestore disc but I have the "L 99 99 99 99 ..." problem. Can someone tell me how to get this disc to where the W98 restore CDs will work correctly?

Shamefacedly,
    \Bob
    Last edited by techieMoe; 09-28-2006 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes, broke off from previous thread.

Can someone tell me how to get this disc to where the W98 restore CDs will work correctly?
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...after-fc5.html

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I tried looking for debug on the Restore CD. I had FDISK, but no DEBUG. But while I was poking around I saw KILLSEC0. That did the trick!

Take care!
    Bob