Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am new to Linux, and I am trying to set up the linux machine to have a static ip. I ran netconfig and set the ip (192.168.0.3), and netmask ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Not working

I am new to Linux, and I am trying to set up the linux machine to have a static ip. I ran netconfig and set the ip (192.168.0.3), and netmask (255.255.255.0). The problem comes when I set up the gateway. See, I don't have a router. Instead, I am running a 2000 machine with 2 nics. Should the gateway be the ip of the 2000 machine? Also, I edited the hosts file and added this line 192.168.0.3 (the same ip i set the netconfig to) linux350 (the comp name) linux350 (nickname). Is this correct? And why does sendmail take sooo long to start? After all this, I can ping the 2000 machine, but nothing outside of that. Which leads me to think the gateway isn't set right? I believe thats all that I have done. From any other comp on the network, I can ping this linux machine, but it doesn't show up in "windows". I can't even find it if I search for it. Thanks for all the help.

diego

Linux Enthusiast
    first off, you are on the right track. You can't see it from windows? You mean in the "Network Neighborhood" thing? Don't worry about that, we can fix that later. Also, do you have routing turned on in Win2k? Can you pink outside your network from a different computer that is using this win2k box as a router? If so then post your routing table (retrieved with `route -n`) and your win2k server address. Sendmail takes a long time to start because it is looking up the hostname I think (which it can't find). There is a discussion abou tthis in another thread, also some stuff on google. I forget how they solved it, but I know it isn't too difficult. Hope this helps.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    I can access the internet from other comps on the network. I haven't run route -n. But I know the ip address is 192.168.0.1. Thats what I set it to be. Yeah, sendmail is no biggie.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Did you ever set the gateway? Anyway, yes, it is supposed to be the IP address of your Win2K machine.
    About sendmail, though, the way we fixed it back then was to simply remove from startup. You will most probably not need it, unless you're planning on having a mail server running on that Linux box.
    Also, did you set your actual hostname to linux350? You can run "hostname" to see what it's set to. If it isn't linux350, that explains why sendmail takes so long to start.
    Which distribution are you running?

By the way, I might just as well explain why it doesn't show up in the Network Neighborhood in Windows. Although it's so built in to Windows so that it seems to be probing your LAN itself, it's really using a Microsoft-designed protocol called SMB (server message blocks). Linux does, of course, not support this natively, since it really isn't an important protocol. If you really want it, there's a program called samba that provides it for Linux.

Just Joined!

Nope.

Nope, still no access to the internet. When I go to my other comp on the network and get its ip address (ipconfig /all) this is what I get...
    Code:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : BURNING.se1.client2.attbi.com
    	DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    	Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    	NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . : 
    	IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    	WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    	NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 
    	Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-04-5A-42-9F-E4
    	DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    	IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.72
    	Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    	Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    	DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    	Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    The only thing about this computer, is the ip is dyanmic. Which would explain some of the differneces. But take a look at the Host name. I never set that. Should I set the linux computer with that host name? Also, when you set a computer to have a static ip, it no longer uses DHCP, correct?

Linux Engineer
    Are you trying to ping by hostname outside of the network. Could be that you don't have valid dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Linux Enthusiast
    good idea, try to ping 65.33.76.33 (that has a better uptime than almost any windows server I have ever used, and it is at my house not on a UPS). Also, try to edit /etc/hostname to put in your actual hostname. See if that helps the sendmail issue.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Genlee, I don't understand your first sentence, am I trying to ping by name (yahoo) instead of ip address? But, i think you are right. All I have in the resolv.conf is this:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    search localdomain

I also can not ping 62.33.76.33, still get the same error:
    connect: Network is unreacable

As for adding hostname into the /etc/hostname file, well I don't really know where this file is. But when I type in hostname, I get back linux350.

Just Joined!
    Found HOSTNAME file. All thats in it is localhost.localdomain.

Linux Engineer
    Can you run "route -n" on your linux box and paste the output here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast