Find the answer to your Linux question:
today i was slashing down unneed services on my parent's computer running fedora core 5. one of the ones i disabled was sendmail. i then tried sending emails from they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

why do i even need sendmail?

today i was slashing down unneed services on my parent's computer running fedora core 5.

one of the ones i disabled was sendmail. i then tried sending emails from they evolution account and sending mail still works, so why is sendmail enabled by default?

i googled for sendmail and it is the daemon that takes care of outgoing messages...so shouldn't outgoing emails fail then?

sorry for this question, but i can't figure it out on my own
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Linux Enthusiast
    It's a server daemon for running an SMTP e-mail server. Unless it's a full-fledged server, you don't need it.

ah great, thats all i needed to know
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The Sendmail program is a very widely used Mail Transport Agent (MTA). MTAs send mail from one machine to another. Sendmail is not a client program, which you use to read your email. Sendmail is a behind-the-scenes program which actually moves your email over networks or the Internet to where you want it to go.

EDIT : ooooops... i am too slow ! and my net connection....

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First