Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey Can some one please help me i am currently running a dual boot with Win XP and S.u.S.e 8.1 pro the only thing stopping me from just have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MSN Chat Under linux

hey

Can some one please help me i am currently running a dual boot with Win XP and S.u.S.e 8.1 pro the only thing stopping me from just have a linux installationa and getting rid of XP is not being able to access msn chat rooms, as all my friends that i have talked to for years use this room

I am wondering if there is a way to get on and use msn chat rooms under linux? i have searched google and only found one solution and this was to install IE using Wine but after 20 odd attempts i havent been able to do this, there must be an easier way any help would be appreciated

thanks!

Linux Guru
    IE under Wine is a nuclear mix. The reason is that IE uses a lot of undocument (yes, that's right, that only Microsoft knows about) Win32 API calls. Don't even attempt that. It's not like it will crash your system, Wine is well enough designed to prevent that, but it's probably more or less impossible.

Anyway, I don't know anything about MSN, so is it MSN itself or some specific feature (what are these chat rooms?) that you're after?

Just Joined!

msn

hey
    the chat i am talking about is http://chat.msn.co.uk

i know that there are mirc scripts to use these msn chat rooms as i am currently using one at the moment (on windows xp), i am now thinking perhaps that would it be possible to access these chat rooms using mirc and the script which is used to access them, maybe using *****X or even installing Mirc under wine i have just tried installing mirc under wine but no avail.......

any suggestions wud be appreciated

hydrouk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I seen a site with a howto on wine + ie if you want to really get it working. The link is somewhere on the gentoo forums if you want to search for it. It is a pretty good site, helped me get kazaa + wine working correctly.

Linux Enthusiast
    hydro: look into xchat, Can't they handle mirc scripts natively? If not, jump into an xchat chat room and ask if anyone could convert it (it should be rather trivial if the people are knowledgeable in irc and xchat, which I am not). Or you could try to post the mirc script here, see if someone has some time to check it out for you.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    thanks peopl ei will look into Xchat and the URL you gave me thaks alot i wil be back with my reuslts

Linux Engineer
    I heard its very easy to run mirc with wine. You could always try that out if you can't get your scripts converted.

Just Joined!
    there is a program for linux called amsn for replacing the msn messenger though i am not sure whether it supports chatrooms.

Just Joined!
    at one point i had mirc running succesfully under wine, however i didnt install it, just copied it from a windows install onto the linux box. but it worked like a charm.

Just Joined!

In regard to Amsn

Hey

I have already tried Amsn but to no avail it doesnt allow me to join msn chat rooms thanks for the post tho and thanks to everyone so far, i have been given lots of diffrent angles to try out and i will let you guys no if any of them work

hydrouk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast