Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ok ! i understand that and i thank you! But why that error appears? Is it normal ?! I want to get rid of it as a root user!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok ! i understand that and i thank you! But why that error appears? Is it normal ?! I want to get rid of it as a root user!

Linux Engineer
    I dont know, Are you still useing that GUI app to untar files or just the tra -xvjf command? Also - Youa re not running as root in general are you?

Just Joined!
    yes! i`m still runing that application to untar the files, but as i said, it`s the same thing in command line.
    And if this is important for my problem...yes, i usually run as root, although i have read that it isn`t quite indicated to do so, at least not to often ...But i can`t see the harm i could get to my system while i am root.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    As a normal user you are unable to run system command like fdisk and hdparm for example. Also you are unable to edit the system wide configuration files. However as the root user you can do anything read or edit any file you can even give your cdrom settings which can break it.. that means that when youare connected to the internet and someone hacks your box due to a security flaw in some aplication you are running they will have the same privilages as you on your system.. in otherwords a hacker will be able to alter system settings and damage your files or even hardware. There are MANY resons other than the one i just listed which are too numerous to list here. I STRONGLY sugest you create a normal user which you use at all times except when you make changes to the system (never connect to the internet as root user) If you continue to use the root account for general use then you would be as welll to go back to windows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2