Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
That`s the strangest thing i have met with linux....I just wanted to close mozilla and everything freezed!I had xmms playing and mozilla...I had to telinit 1...i didn`t know what else ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux crash ?!

That`s the strangest thing i have met with linux....I just wanted to close mozilla and everything freezed!I had xmms playing and mozilla...I had to telinit 1...i didn`t know what else to do.I have tried CTRL+ALT+F3 and back CTRL+ALT+F7 ...but with no success.
    Now I really get mad...

Hit the restart button thats what it is for

Just Joined!
    but where is the so called stability of linux?

its there i have only had a few crashes ever with linux. and it doesnt say it is 100% stable and no crashs. it is bound to happen with the best of software that something will go wrong and it will crash its jst part of life.

edit: it crashs a hell of a lot less then windows. i have had 6 crashes and 1 complete turn off of my win2k system so far today and thats from 8 am till 430 pm
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

yeh it will crash this is a fact of life its just linux doesnt crash as much as MS which reboot there servers about once a week mine has been up 100 hours and im not a big company. They would say thats why but i dought it

Linux Engineer
    My gentoo box has never crashed. Although individula apps have on occasion crashed the OS has allwase remained perfectly stable.

Just Joined!
    ....so you are saying to me that the number of crashes depends on the type of linux you have?!Can you say that one distribution crashes less than another?!And if so, i want to know which is it and why is so?

Linux Engineer
    I dont think you can say that for certain. In my experiance gentoo provides a very solid and transparent system, you know exactly what is gong on at all times and only what you want to happen happens. That is unlike say redhat or suse where you start with a pre-built system that is set up in a mostly unknown way.. of course you can still change any and all settings to suit yourself but it is hard to know whether you have missed something or not. The way gentoo (or debian or slackware and others) does it forces you to learn about the system and this gives you the knowledge and confidence to change settings and be sure of what you are doing. this is important as the stability depends on how well you maintain the system and what applications you install on it and how those applications are set up. Even the arangment of the hardware you use.

Some would say that useing a command line instead of a "wizard" to administer your system is "difficult" or "not as easy" This is only true if

A: You can`t read [instructions].
    B. You expect the operating system to automate all tasks.
    C. You dont really want to do anything more complex than settingup an internet connection.
    D. You dont care how stable the system is.

The fact is that administering a system useing mostly command line tools is VERY easy and VERY VERY efficiant. But only once you have learnd how to do it. Like anything. Distros that try to emulate the "simplicity" of windows only make it harder (or imposible in the case of MSwindows) to learn how to actualy use the system fully.
    These are just my opinions and may be wrong in some or all respects!

:D

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Type or distribution of linux you have is a factor but a small one. How you use your linux machine is everything.

The differnce in stability between how much it takes to crash linux vs Windows or any OS, is in how the any OS or kernel handles memory, internal processes of the OS and applications gone wild...

i.e if you run "ps -ax" (I'd double check my switch, it's off the top of my head) you should get a almost live update of the top 20 or so of the top processes listed in order by cpu usage. In any OS, if any process starts taking the majority or all of the cpu cycles its (your box) almost dead/crashed. Windows has a smilar method to check processes and how much the are hammering your box.

So how the OS handles these different issues and how you use it, will determine how stable it is for you.

summary of factors:

1. How kernel handles memory (swap and RAM) and processes.

2. How you use linux.

3. Poorly written apps that have one or more functions that can go wild.

Whcih distribution or type of linux you have can make a differences but should be minor.

What make linux harder to crash is it handles the 3 points above better than any windows version does currently. Windows actually took a step backwards on point #1 from win 2000 to Win 2003 or XP as it now allows 3rd party drivers to access memory directly thus bypassing the kernel altogether. I don't now if this is true of XP 64 bit addition or not.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User

X server crashes!!!!

i installed redhat 9 on mah dell p4 2.4 1 gig machine.Earlier whenever i used to run xmms and go to console mode..mah x used to crash and that was very annoying..cos u had evrything open..and before u relise all is gone...
    and now..i play songs using xmms...i use mpg123 and play it from command line...but ithe X server crashes prevail...i have mozilla running and i go to text mode and mah X crashes...
    ne suggestions

warm regards\

Atul Kamat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast