Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to understand something about Suse license: talking about 8.1 release, is legal if I install (for any purpose) a copied cd (copied from an original Suse cd)? I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse license

I'm trying to understand something about Suse license: talking about 8.1 release, is legal if I install (for any purpose) a copied cd (copied from an original Suse cd)?
    I think it is, but I wonder about Yast...that it's not open source.
    Anyone knows the truth?

Thanks.

Just Joined!

hmm

after looking on suse's site i found this i hope this helps:

It is forbidden to reproduce or distribute data carriers which have been reproduced without authorisation for payment without the prior written consent of SuSE Linux AG or SuSE Linux. Distribution of the YaST programme, its sources, whether amended or unamended in full or in part thereof, and the works derived thereof for a charge require the prior written consent of SuSE Linux AG.

Just Joined!
    You still can install from the original CD/DVD to any number of computers you have (this is legal).

And you can also lend your original CD/DVD to your friends for them to install on their computers (this is also legal).

But if you sell copied (=pirated) from the original CD/DVD then this is illegal without SuSE lisence.

However you can only have one (single) client number/registration code to access their support.

Anyway, you can download/copy all binaries/codes/rpms or ftp install for free at any given time/machine.

Have a lot of fun :-)

Just Joined!
    But can I install it on more the one pc's from a copied disk? (taken without payments?)