Find the answer to your Linux question:
I new to the whole Linux enviroment, and I'm looking to purchase a new laptop to run Mandrake 9.0. Should I be concerned about hardware compatibility with this OS? Also, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Laptop Concerns for Mandrake 9.0

I new to the whole Linux enviroment, and I'm looking to purchase a new laptop to run Mandrake 9.0. Should I be concerned about hardware compatibility with this OS?

Also, do any of you more experience ones have any suggestions as far as a particular laptop that you like? I'm looking to spend $1,100 to $1,700...

Any advice, suggestions, and comments are welcome & appreciated.

Tanks!

FloppyRat

Linux Engineer
    I run redhat 7.3 on a inspiron 8100 and gentoo 1.4 on an inspiron 8200. I didn't have any compatibility problems at all with hardware on both laptops.

Linux Guru
    Generally, you don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. There are, however, two main issues. First of all, if you use a broadband USB modem, don't count on it working. It could work, but don't count on it. Second, if the computer has a built-in modem that is a so called "WinModem", it could very well work, but the procedure of getting there can be a bit complicated, depending on your experience. You might not need to use a regular modem, though, right?

Just Joined!
    I'm running Mandrake 8.2 on an IBM Thinkpad iSeries laptop. You shouldn't have trouble with any of the Thinkpads. I suggest that you buy a laptop with a built-in floppy and NIC, it would have made my life a little easier. Floppy drives make it easier to boot in emergencies and a built in NIC tends to be cheaper and more reliable than buying a PCMCIA card, at least in my experience.