Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, First and foremost, I'm sorry that this may be a bit off-topic. While this will ultimately be a Linux-based computer, the question is more hardware related at this point. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Optimizing for Data Analysis

Hi,

First and foremost, I'm sorry that this may be a bit off-topic. While this will ultimately be a Linux-based computer, the question is more hardware related at this point.

I'm currently a student who works on a great deal of data intensive projects, both within research labs and of my own initiative. I run a lot of analysis on my laptop and recently decided to set up a dedicated data analysis system. Now, I have a limited budget, and was wondering if anyone could advise me (or point me to a site or other resource) about what I should be looking for and how I can optimize the system in terms of computing power and budget.

Thank you,
    Wojciech

Linux Newbie
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but if you are looking for advice on what hardware to buy I suggest something based on the Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of RAM. I don't know what workloads you will be running, but most data analysis will benefit from large amounts of RAM and the Core 2 Duo is a low power, yet very fast, processor.