Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi y'all Is it possible to print from a linux box if the printer is connected to Win2k machine on the same network. If so is there anything you need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows, linux printing compatibility

Hi y'all

Is it possible to print from a linux box if the printer is connected to Win2k machine on the same network. If so is there anything you need on either side to make it work.

My samba service is running and I can browse to the windows comp from my linux box and even see the shared folders, all except the printers folder.
    I even tried sharing the printer, which shows up fine on the windows machine but does'nt come up on my linux machine.

Which is why I'm asking if I need to install anything to make my box see the printers folder or the printer. By the way I'm running RH9.

Linux Engineer
    Try setting it up as an smb printer under CUPS. That's how I did mine.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux User

stuff

yes it should work. make sure you share the windows printer first. then add a printer to the RH box using the GUI. choose SMB printer type and fill in all the details.

I have had problems with drivers but you can normally sort that out with trial and error.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.