Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just curious,is it always necessary that you have to install windows before installing linux?Or can we install linux and then Windows?And even though it has not yet happened with me, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows before linux,or vice versa?

Just curious,is it always necessary that you have to install windows before installing linux?Or can we install linux and then Windows?And even though it has not yet happened with me, I have heard that if windows crashes in a box where linux is there you donot see the bootloader.Is it true?If true,any workarounds?My distro is redhat 9.0.

The easiest way is Windows first and then Linux, you don't see the bootloader if you try to install windows after linux because win always overwrite the MBR where the bootloader is.
    If your MBR is overwrote you can always use a LiveCD to reinstall GRUB but it may be tricky.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hound_baskerville
    Just curious,is it always necessary that you have to install windows before installing linux?Or can we install linux and then Windows?And even though it has not yet happened with me, I have heard that if windows crashes in a box where linux is there you donot see the bootloader.Is it true?If true,any workarounds?My distro is redhat 9.0.
    installing windows after Linux is very tricky and a bit complicated. Windows needs primary partition and 'as mentioned by Juan Pablo', it overwrite MBR and erase boot loader from it. some older BIOS follow 1024 cylinders limit. you can't install bootable system ( Windows ) over that limit.

in case of Linux, it doesn't care about partition type..... .... install it in a free/unpartitioned space. dual boot is default. nothing to change in Boot Loader section. installer will detect windows and add it in Boot Loader.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound_baskerville
    I have heard that if windows crashes in a box where linux is there you donot see the bootloader.Is it true?If true,any workarounds?
    I don't think this is true. The bootloader is on the MBR, which is well separated from the operating systems. If one of them stops working, the bootloader will still start, so you can choose the operating system that works.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode