Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Multiple versions of packages and apt-get

So I switched to apt-get to update my machine. Doesn't lock up near as often as up2date. However, lately I've been getting complaints on multiple versions of packages. I'll have a look using synaptic and find something like:

blahblah#7.42-1
    blahblah#7.42-2.1

Or it'll be the same package and one will have a -2 after it. Same versions otherwise. If I attempt to remove either of them, they say that there are a pile of dependencies (same ones) that will be removed.

Any ideas? I'm starting to get into this linux thing..when it works. :]

Linux Engineer
    No idea about the error - sorry. but if you want a really REALLY stable, fast, and utterly powerfull and easy to use system the I STRONGLY Reccomend Gentoo http://www.gentoo.org

I'll go snag it. Thanks!
    I thought apt-get was a huge jump from up2date, so I'm interested to see what this gentoo will do.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ah, it's a new distribution, I thought it was a package getter type thing. The I haven't heard of gentoo. When I go to pick up packages, I get choices between distributions and I've not seen this listed. Which packages would it run? Designed for RH, etc?

Linux Engineer
    It will run all the same software that redhat does. With gentoo you install aplications like this:

emerge -av gimp

that command will download the latest stable sourcecode, configure it, compile it and install it automajically! You can use pre built packages if you want with

emerge -avk gimp

This is why you dont see gentoo listed in lists of packages.