Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I was just wondering out there if someone could suggest to me a what a good linux distro would be. First of all I am on Redhat 9.0 right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Flavor of Linux

Hey I was just wondering out there if someone could suggest to me a what a good linux distro would be. First of all I am on Redhat 9.0 right now and for some reason It wont let me have sound, so if you could point me in a direction of a Linux OS that supports the NVIDIA soundcard, thanx

Just Joined!
    You can download and install the driver from:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

Redhat 9.0 is supported so installation should be somewhat straight forward.

Richard

Linux Engineer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rzilavec
    You can download and install the driver from:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

Redhat 9.0 is supported so installation should be somewhat straight forward.

Richard
    IMO i would follow Richard's suggestion, before trying another distro, as the chances are you will install another distro, your sound still wont work - proberly becuase the driver is not installed..

Jason

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Let the war begin.... Slackware! Although, gentoo is very cool too.

Richard

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rzilavec
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Let the war begin.... Slackware! Although, gentoo is very cool too.

Richard
    i have been using redhat 9 for a while and am now trying to decide whether or not to update to fedora core or try a new distro. i was thinking of trying either gentoo or slackware.

have either of you used redhat in the past? if so are there any big differences?

thanks

Just Joined!
    I have tried many distros but my favorite is still slackware. You should try Suse.. it is fun.

Richard

Linux Engineer
    SuSE is good but sokmewhat simmilar style to redhat. if you want a new and even more rewarding experiance then try gentoo - it is very easy to use and imensly powerfull. Slackware is good too but not as easyt o use:)

Just Joined!
    The "best linux" seems to be one of those never ending thread themes which go no were really. A lot of people have problems with nVidia stuff so i wouldn't be to worried about that in it self. As a proprietry chipset they won't let anyone know about it's internals, so....

Seems to be very specific in it's settings, module config settings etc. Heaps of people use it though so someone will know. Iv'e heard a few people mention that the very latest nVidia releases were broken in some distros, not sure if it was graphics or sound.

Oh.. best distro, any deb, of course

jm