Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was doing my usual, pointless web browsing today when I realized something strange. A video link I had opened started playing in a beta version of Windows Media Player. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows Media Player in Firefox???

I was doing my usual, pointless web browsing today when I realized something strange. A video link I had opened started playing in a beta version of Windows Media Player. I thought that was very unusual seeing as how most (OK, all) of the video media I view on the Internet is opened by the mplayer plugin. Has Firefox started integrating Windows Media into their browser? Because I certainly don't have any version of it anywhere on this computer. Here's a screenshot in case you don't believe me.

EDIT: Image Tags

I think it is just a flash object with the look of WMP.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

It does look convincing and it is off the MSN site but then again, it doesn't make logical sense. Juan Pablo is probably right - it's likely a flash object. Curiously though, have you tried any other wmv feeds? It won't work but if it does, how did you do it?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Curiously though, have you tried any other wmv feeds? It won't work but if it does, how did you do it?
    What won't work? I just checked it out again. Right-clicked on the video and got an option to view information about Adobe Flash Player 9 so it looks like you were right Juan Pablo. I guess I just don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't just use their own format on their own website. Maybe Flash is just more prevalent now. Whatever it is, it's pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    I guess I just don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't just use their own format on their own website. Maybe Flash is just more prevalent now.
    I think the same thing.

I had figured maybe you got wmp to work under wine or some other convoluted way.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.