Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I've been using Linux for nearly 8yrs now. I started with RedHat, then to Mandrake, to SuSE to Debian. Lately I've been having trouble with debian that is related ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need a distro and am open to suggestions

Alright, I've been using Linux for nearly 8yrs now. I started with RedHat, then to Mandrake, to SuSE to Debian.
    Lately I've been having trouble with debian that is related to my hardware config and that I'm no longer patient enough to put up with.

What I'm looking for is something fast, reliable, stable and that is good for desktop. I'm not a programmer, and haven't been since 2000.
    My system is a 450MHz K6-2 with 640MB RAM, DVD burner and DVD ROM harddrives, floppy drive. I quit having the patience to be a power user ages ago.
    Put simply, if I weren't broke I'd be at CompUSA or on eBay buying a PPC or Intel Mac and happily abandoning this whole problem for OSX.

I am not fond of RPM, it's ok, but if I'm going to use that sort of package management I've found I prefer DEB.

I was going to use either Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint or Lunar Linux. Prefering to try Lunar. Only I've a problem: They reboot my computer. I boot the CD, it boots vmlinuz, then roughly 50% of the way into loading the initrd file they all reboot my computer. I've never seen this sort of thing before and really don't know what to make of it. Debian netinst for sarge and etch don't do this, so I know that it isn't just my mainboard has suddenly decided it can't boot CDROM, but I'm not interested in using them.
    Knoppix is wonderfully reliable, stable and has none of the problems I'm leaving debian for.... so long as I only use it on the CD. I installed it on my harddrive once and regretted it w/in the hour.

I have some lokisoft games, so I'd prefer to keep using Linux. I thought about FreeBSD or OpenSOLARIS but ... well.... I like Alpha Centauri, and Unreal Tournament is unstable in Windows.

Really though, RPM, DEB, SRC, or magic faerie dust based doesn't matter to me anymore, just that I have KDE, Amarok, Kaffiene, KMail, AbiWord, and just about all the games from etch that weren't chess, go or sudoku.

Any and all advise is welcome, especially if it's an offer to donate an iMac that can run Tiger or Panther to solve my problem

PS: For those wondering about the Lokisoft games and the desire to abandon PCs for Apple... I have to keep my PC around anyway for a couple of Windows programs and if you've never seen the sys reqs for LokiSoft's games they only need like a 2.2.x kernel so I'll just grab one of the discs to a seriously out of date distro I've got laying around

I won't argue with the want to buy an Apple. I have one myself that I'm quite fond of. Back on topic though, have you tried the "Alternate Install" discs for Ubuntu? If there's something wonky with your setup that's giving the other discs fits it will probably be easier to diagnose with a command-line installer.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I won't argue with the want to buy an Apple. I have one myself that I'm quite fond of. Back on topic though, have you tried the "Alternate Install" discs for Ubuntu? If there's something wonky with your setup that's giving the other discs fits it will probably be easier to diagnose with a command-line installer.
    ~blush~ would you believe it never occurred to me to try them? The descriptions of them I think is why. I've got over 92MB RAM, and am not using different architectures... etc... anyway, I'll give that a try. thanks.

UPDATE: Alternate CD didn't help either. It's not the installer that's rebooting me. It's the initrd on the standard iso, and in the case of the alternative it's the kernel itself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close