Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, three little question: 1) I'm trying to mount an ntfs partition (read only is enough), but I receive an error saying that ntfs file system is not supported by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ntfs and num lock key on rh 8.0

Hello,

three little question:

1) I'm trying to mount an ntfs partition (read only is enough), but I receive an error saying that ntfs file system is not supported by the kernel!! (the command I used is mount /t ntfs /dev/hda3 /mnt/windows)

2) how can I make num lock key enables automatically at startup in gnome (rh 8.0)?

3) anyone know if and when gnome 2.2 will be available for updating in red hat network (up2date)

Thanks so much.

Linux Enthusiast
    well, here's how to get numlock to work on boot:

start - preferences - peripherals - keyboard - advanced - enable numlock on boot

I don't use ntfs so I have never looked into how to mount it, but I know it has been done tons of times, so someone should be able to post the answer to that

As for Gnome, I'm not sure, but if it's anything like KDE 3.1 then, you might have to wait for the next distro version to come out.

Linux Engineer
    What version of redhat?[/code]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    About the ntfs problem:
    First, the mount command is "mount -t ntfs ..." (not /t, but I'm supposing it's just a typo).
    The reason that it's complaining is because your kernel doesn't have NTFS support loaded. First, try running "modprobe ntfs", to see if your distro came with the module. If that doesn't work, you'll just have to recompile your kernel.

RedHat probably won't release GNOME 2.2 for upgrade. As I've seen, they only upgrade because of security issues, and when they do, they only patch the old version to resolve the issue. They never release new versions over RHN.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    What version of redhat?
    look in the title of the thread

Linux User
    (that's a me/Dolda classic, not reading the thread titles )
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Really, who looks at them anyway? =)

Linux Enthusiast
    I do when they reference something I don't know. Like hmm . . . maybe he mentioned which version in the title, but hey, that is me. GNOME2.2 might actually make it into the next version of RedHat, I think it met the freeze deadline for the latest stable, now it is just a matter of getting everything working together. I know a lot of people that use RedHat, then just download/compile/install garnome as per the garnome instructions with no real problems. check out http://gnome.org/~jdub/garnome for more information. Also, read the mailing list before posting to it, almost every problem has been experienced before.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    [quote="yowwww"]well, here's how to get numlock to work on boot:

start - preferences - peripherals - keyboard - advanced - enable numlock on boot

Thanks for replying, but... I'm running gnome, not kde: I knew how to do do it on kde (as you told me), but have you any idea for gnome?

Thanks.