Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, ive searched these forums for a some sort of comprehensive descriiption on how to do this, but i am trying to syc my palm to my evolution acccount, im ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

create sym link (for palm use)

hey, ive searched these forums for a some sort of comprehensive descriiption on how to do this, but i am trying to syc my palm to my evolution acccount, im pretty certain that means i need a symlink to the usb port that my palm is attaced to named /dev/pilot ... problem is, i have no idea how to do this, if theres an easyer way, im open to that too.

first of all, check out the PDA linking software J-Pilot. In the Gnome desktop you should find it in your "Preferences/More Preferences" menu . Or you can enter
    Code:
    gpilotd-control-applet &
    This, I think, will do most things you're after. I also think that there is a menu option within Evolution to set this link (to your PDA) up.

Also you may like to look into "pilot-xfer" which is a none GUI command.

But, if you really want to know how to set up a symbolic link, the command is "ln" followed by a space and a "-S" (that is a capital S) and then the thing you already have (ie. the source, or in you case /dev/pilot) followed by another space and then the thing you want to create (ie. the destination).

But first check out the supplied software.

have fun

Nerderello
    ps. you may also like to have a look at something called Virtual Network Computing (vnc) at the following sites :-http://www.realvnc.com and the PalmOS bit to vnc at :-http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

oops, I meant lower case "s" not capital "S", as I'm sure you would have worked out after looking at the "ln" manual page ("man ln").

So, if you want to creat a symbolic link (ie. a pointer to a different file) it's
    "ln" followed by a space, then a "-" (minus sign) and a lower case "s", followed by another space and the thing that already exists, followed by another space and the thing that you want to create.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close