Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I downloaded a game called DeachChase 3D. It came in the .tar.gz format and I am trying to install it. I successfuly unpackaged it, configured it, and got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble compiling and installing a game

Hi everyone,

I downloaded a game called DeachChase 3D. It came in the .tar.gz format and I am trying to install it.

I successfuly unpackaged it, configured it, and got up to the final step, installing it.

I have gotten no errors untill now. When I try to run the command, I get this:

Code:
    mattmodica@Stargate:~/deathchase3d-0.9$ su -c 'make install'
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    Sorry.
    mattmodica@Stargate:~/deathchase3d-0.9$
    It doesn't recognize my password. I did it many times and I typed it correctly. I usually use sudo to run as a super user, but never su. I'm not sure what's going on. This happens when I try to install other games as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    BigFoot

Go ahead and use sudo. It's essentially the same as su -c. Except this time you won't need the quotes around the command. Just try something like this:
    Code:
    $sudo make install

Just Joined!
    Thanks, that worked.

Just Joined!

The reason

The reason su didn't work is probably because you were using your user password instead of the root password (pressuming they are different.) SUDO accepts the password of the user making the call, SU accepts the password of the target user.

eg.:
    You have two users: one root with password 'root' and one 'User1' with password 'pass.' You log on as User1. To switch to root with SUDO you'd use the password 'pass.' To do the same thing with SU you'd use 'root.'

effectively:
    sudo [command]
    password:pass

or

su -c '[command]'
    password:root

Tell me if this is what what was going on. You seem to have solved your problem, but I'm curious to see if I'm correct about this.

The reason su doesn't work on KUbuntu (or Ubunut, XUbuntu, etc) is that Ubuntu disables the root account by default. You cannot use "su" unless you manually set the root password.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    OK, thanks guys for the info.