Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Have you considered Crux ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Have you considered Crux?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Have you considered Crux?
    Hmmm... Crux looks interesting, but I really don't see any advantages over Gentoo? I see you use it, what would be your argument for someone to switch from say Gentoo (or for that matter, Debian or Slackware)?

I'm just curious. If I get the time I might try it out sometime

With Crux, you start with a very minimal install from a live CD. It is very basic, but saves time over compiling everything from scratch. It uses a ports system. There is also prt-get, a command line package installer that solves dependencies. You must configure almost everything from the command line. Fancy GUI configurators are just not part of the distro. Crux is by far the fastest distro I've ever used, and yes I've run Gentoo. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to get it like you want, but in the end it's very rewarding. At least it was for me. I'm not sure if any of the above would be considered reasons to switch away from a current distro, but rather are reasons to at least take a look at it if you enjoy experimenting with different distros. I still use Slackware mostly, but also enjoy running Crux. Here's a recent screen of my Crux installation with KDE...
    Link
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 12-19-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    With Crux, you start with a very minimal install from a live CD. It is very basic, but saves time over compiling everything from scratch. It uses a ports system.
    Hmmm.. that seems an advantage over Gentoo & LFS as i have a slow broadband connection which soemtimes goes very-slooooow. right now connection is fast and i am downloading its CRUX 230 MB i686 ISO for my AMD64

There is also prt-get, a command line package installer that solves dependencies. You must configure almost everything from the command line. Fancy GUI configurators are just not part of the distro.
    if this is really the case, i think i will choose CRUX as my distro but i will play with it first before making any decision. hey i tried Arch too, IIRC, Arch is a CRUX inspired distro.

Crux is by far the fastest distro I've ever used, and yes I've run Gentoo. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to get it like you want, but in the end it's very rewarding. At least it was for me. I'm not sure if any of the above would be considered reasons to switch away from a current distro, but rather are reasons to at least take a look at it if you enjoy experimenting with different distros. I still use Slackware mostly, but also enjoy running Crux. Here's a recent screen of my Crux installation with KDE...
    Link
    yes i have heard lots of praise for Slackware, i really wanted to use it but it does not have GNOME oh yes, i know, it has some other non-original GNOMEs

Hi.
    I think you should try Gentoo properly, and not give up until you have it installed and up and running (it tends to take a while with Gentoo, although worth the effort).
    It'll have ALL the configuration needs you want, and has possibly one of the coolest, handiest package managers around.

Quote Originally Posted by arnuld.zero
    i tried Gentoo 2 times, it looks disgusting
    As for the GUI of it. Its completely up to what Window manager you use, and how you set it up (look at random screenshots online). I recommend fluxbox, if you dont want all the extra 'mouse clicking' configuration options.

Arch and CRUX (although I havent used either), as far as i know are also really cool (planning on having a look at Arch soon myself)

Good luck

EDIT: I just took a look at CRUX, and that also looks REALLY cool (I like ports) I'll be checking that out too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2