Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
well, i did not find any relevent Forum for my question, except this one, so here is my question: i am using Linux from last 10 months & have used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Linux distro for experienced Linux user

well, i did not find any relevent Forum for my question, except this one, so here is my question:

i am using Linux from last 10 months & have used Fedora, Debian & BLAG over ths time. now i feel irritated by "configuration using GUIs" as they hide the complexity.

e.g in Fedora, you go to "GNOME menu -> Adiministration -> Networking/Printing" & configure/install the Router/Printer from there, where as "localhost:631", "/etc/hosts" "/etc/resolv.conf" "ping/tcpdump" give you much flexibility, power & control over configuration & installation & even these command-line tools are much-expressive & helpful when a serious-problem arises like i had with my router. i also want latest (or at least "not old" softwares like GCC 3.x when GCC 4.x is here). i only work on GNOME, dont use KDE (a.k.a Windows's coloured-copy)

i found 2 distros fit my requirements:

1.) Arch
    2.) Frugalware

Arch has serious bugs, i used it. i am downloading "Frugalware" right now. does anybody has any further suggestions for distros? or any other views?

I would say it depends on what purpose you're using this machine for. If you don't like the different Desktop Environments and Window Managers Linux has to offer, why don't you just try a text-based install? This is the most stable option, especially for maintaining a mission-critical server. CentOS would be a good choice here. Although, it seems like you would like to have a more bleeding-edge distro based on the fact that you want the newest releases of software. If that's the case then CentOS would not be a good choice. Have you tried Gentoo or Slackware? These are distributions geared more towards the proficient Linux user and can be tuned to your liking.

If your goal is to stay away from configuration GUI's then I would recommend Slackware. As thrillhouse stated, Gentoo would be good.

Or you could be really daring, and try a Linux From Scratch installation....
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    I would say it depends on what purpose you're using this machine for. If you don't like the different Desktop Environments and Window Managers Linux has to offer, why don't you just try a text-based install?
    well, i did not say that. i said "configuration" using GUIs, not "installation of Linux". i think i was not clear. so i say here: configuring router,printer etc & things like GUI package manager, i HATE. i like "apt-get" BTW.

well, i did install Arch Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD & NetBSD using "text-based" install. BSDs are not "copyleft" but Linux is & that is why i use it. in the end i want to work in GNOME & configure thing using command-line.

This is the most stable option, especially for maintaining a mission-critical server. CentOS would be a good choice here. Although, it seems like you would like to have a more bleeding-edge distro based on the fact that you want the newest releases of software. If that's the case then CentOS would not be a good choice.
    YES, that is the *exact* reason i did not downlaod "centOS". you are good

Have you tried Gentoo or Slackware?
    Slackware does not have GNOME. it has KDE (a.k.a Wndows coloured-copy)
    ( also it has GCC 3.4 whereas i need 4.x)

i tried Gentoo 2 times, it looks disgusting

These are distributions geared more towards the proficient Linux user and can be tuned to your liking.
    that is why i am downloading "Frugalware" a Slackware based distro but with GNOME & GCC 4.x & every other thing there is in command-line like "Arch"

i am open to learning/suggestions, feel free to hit me with posts/emails

thanks

Just Joined!
    You do know you can use a terminal in just about any distribution...

Quote Originally Posted by arnuld.zero
    Slackware does not have GNOME. it has KDE (a.k.a Wndows coloured-copy)
    ( also it has GCC 3.4 whereas i need 4.x)
    Many Slackware's Gnome packages exist : Freerock, Dropline, Gware, etc. Unless I am mistaking, GCC 4.x is in Slackware's current branch.

Did you take a look at Debian testing, or even Debian unstable (sid) ? I've been using Sid for quite a while now, and I've nothing to complain about. Those days It is not as bleeding edge as it is normally, simply because the focus is on Etch's release. Still, it is an exceptional distro.

Also, Zenwalk is Slackware based but more up to date. It is a very light & speedy distro (with Gnome 2.16, and all the latest).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek
    You do know you can use a terminal in just about any distribution...
    of course i know and Fedora have both GUI & Terminal but i used my broadband for 2 months with full of troubles & i always accused my ISP ;-( and one day i installed NetBSD where i had to create files "/etc/mygate", "/etc/ifconfig.vr0" etc. manually and all of my troubles disappeared. NO i can not use NetBSD, i have decided to work only on "copyleft" softwares, BSDs are not copyleft but Linux is.

Get Gentoo, you wont have any GUI
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Portage tarball install problem

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    Get Gentoo, you wont have any GUI
    i tried to install it through 2006.1 "amd64-minimal-install-CD". i downloded & installed "Stage3-tarball" without any trouble. when i did:

"tar -xvjf --latest-portage-tarball-here-- -C /usr"

it threw 1000s of messages like this:

"CAN NOT OPEN FILE: no such file or directory"

MD5SUMs are fine, what could be wrong?

( i have also posted it in "Gentoo Forum", just posted it here to complete the communication)

Just to answer the original question:

1. Linux from Scratch
    2. Gentoo
    3. Slackware

In that order. I use gentoo and love it.

As to the last post, try adding the path to the --latest-portage-tarball-here--?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast