Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, It took me a while to patch my RH8 with the Linux Progress Patch (LPP) and make it compile. Now it appeared a link error saying that bg_color and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LPP link prob.

Hello,
    It took me a while to patch my RH8 with the Linux Progress Patch (LPP) and make it compile. Now it appeared a link error saying that bg_color and fg_color are declared twice in video.o (while compiling kernel). I can't find the declarations. Is there a way around? Or is it better ketting a new Kernel and re-patching? Is there any other way to remove all boot messages and show a splash or animation or even sound? ThanQ,

JVFF

Linux Guru
    Is video.o an incremental link or a compile? If it's an incremental link, it should tell you what modules declare these variables, and if it's a compile you should be getting the line numbers and file names. It's possible that you get line numbers and file names on incremental links as well, but it doesn't always happen that way. I'm guessing that it's multiple inclusion, in which case you can just fix the include file with conditional cpp directives.
    For my part, I can't really understand why you'd want to do that anyway, since you'll miss the boot messages and can't see what's going on, but maybe that's just me.

Just Joined!
    I did fix it, it was on speaker.c, I renamed the var to bg_color1. I created a kernel bzImage. But when initiating it says errors about ext3 filesystem then says: "kernel panic: no init found, try passing init= option". I dunno what todo.

My objective is create a Virtual Video Game. It supposed to boot whith an animation or logo then mount the cd and start playing the game.

I looked into the Kernel HOWTO but I couldn't fix the prob. It said to run make modules but I get 1000s of errors regarding to the net module. Is it a good idea to get the latest kernel and recompile? ThanX in advance,

JVFF

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It might very well be a good idea to get the latest kernel source. You should check that thing about bg_color, though. Renaming it to bg_color1 might just introduce other problems, if it uses it incorrectly.

That kernel error indicates that the kernel can't find any program to start after it has bootstrapped itself. By default (if you don't specify it via the kernel command line), it tries /sbin/init, /etc/init, /bin/init and then falls back to /bin/sh. If none of these can be found, it gives than panic message, which, if you know you have one of those files (you usually have /bin/sh), indicates that the wrong partitions probably got mounted as the root file system. Please check what root file system that was mounted.