Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have linux installed on one hard drive, and windows installed on another. I would like to be able to drag files that I am working with in linux, onto ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving files from linux to windows

I have linux installed on one hard drive, and windows installed on another.

I would like to be able to drag files that I am working with in linux, onto the windows hard drive.

When I try to do this, I get an error message telling me it was unable to create the file/directory I was trying to make.

I have a folder full of files I need to get off the linux hard drive and onto the windows hard drive. How do I do this?

Just Joined!
    yea well I know that you cant write to the NFTS because there is alot of problems. Usually When I need to send files from one partition to another(linux to windows) I upload my files to a webserver then retrieve them on when I go back into windows.

Linux Engineer
    u can either put them on a fat32 drive which can be read/written by both, or use e2fs (if u used ext2/3 for linux) whiel in windoze go get stuff off the linux partitions, there is no write support in this program tho

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just as a side note on that Win2k or XP do not equal NTFS. OEM machines that come with win2k or xp will commonly come in that file sytem configuratation but this is not a absolute. Retail copies with give you the option if upgrading from fat32 or ext2/3 to go fat32 or NFTS.

I use fat32 on 2 of my 3 xp machines for file transer while using linux. It would be 3 out of 3 but I have had no need to format a laptop that came as NTFS and was not a option when ordering either.

Good luck
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

***Moved to Misc***
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just use Windows to retrieve the files from the linux drive, if the drive is fat 32, if its not....then ur screwd, ull need to burn to a disk or use someother external method of intermediary storage.

Linux Engineer
    Recent kernels do support writing to ntfs filesystems your ntfs drive is probably just mounted with readonly permisions. unmount it and remount it with the mount -w command

Just Joined!

Reading EXT2 from Windows

Here's a link to EXT2IFS and Explore2fs. They can read EXT2 and 3 but no write.
    Isn't writing to NTFS from Linux still kinda' risky?

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Good luck...

don
    Linux Newbie
    check the file /etc/fstab to see if ur windows partitions are mounted(if at all) in readonly mode. if it is use the command
    Code:
    #remount -rw /the_path_where_ur_drive_is_mounted
    in case u dont see ur windows partitions listed in /etc/fstab run fdisk -l /dev/hda ( assuming ur harddisk is hda, else substitute hdb or hdc as applicable) check which all are ur windows partition and then use

Code:
    #mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /windows_c
    where hda1 is the windows partition u need and /windows_c is the mount point ( make sure it exists!). the option vfat works for fat32 partitions. it u are using NTFS partitions substitute it with ntfs. however most default kernels if supporting NTFS supports it only in read nly mode.

hope this helps
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

Just Joined!
    u need yo mount ur Windows partition. Make a folder in your mnt folder called Windows and use mount -t ntfs /where partition is located(in my case /dev/hda1) /mnt/Windows

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast