Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, there's something I need some help on. Now we need to compile the server. First, put /jb/java/bin at the start of your path so that ant will use the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need some help with compiling something.

Okay, there's something I need some help on.

Now we need to compile the server. First, put /jb/java/bin at the start of your path so that ant will use the freshly installed JDK, rather than the system installed on. This examples assumes you're running BASH, which is the default of 99% of the distributions. If you're running ksh or csh, you probably don't need this guide to begin with. Then change into the JB server source directory and do the compile.

export PATH=/jb/java/bin:${PATH**
    cd /jb/source/trunk/jb_server
    ant

This compile should be fairly clean. There is only warning about "Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations." You can ignore these. You should now have jb-server.zip in the build directory. Copy this to the /jb/server directory and extract.
    Doing that just puts a ">" into my terminal, where nothing works.
    Anyone of you know how to fix this? I also don't understand the "First, put /jb/java/bin at the start of your path so that ant will use the freshly installed JDK"; what does it mean "put x at the start..."?

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

/Fedora Core 6 <3

Your PATH variable contains all the directories that will be searched for a command. They are searched in the order given so, if you add a directory at the front, it will be searched first and the commands in it will override any commands with the same name in other directories.

The first line of the code you quote is supposed to carry out this operation but it looks a bit wonky to me. The > prompt that you are getting indicates that bash thinks you haven't finished the command and that is usually due to unpaired quotes or brackets, in this case (I think) an unpaired brace {.

Try "export PATH = /jb/java/bin :$PATH" instead. That means: take all the directories in PATH (they will be separated by colons), put "/jb/java/bin:" in front, make that list the new PATH and export it (make it available to all scripts and programs). Just for interest, you can try displaying the old and the new versions of $PATH like this:

echo $PATH
    export PATH = /jb/java/bin:$PATH
    echo $PATH

I think that will show you what you have done better than I could explain it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com