Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I installed Mandrake 10 PowerPack and I'm having some problems. My PC configuration is this -AthlonXP 2000+ -A7N8X-x mobo (nForce2 chipset) -512 RAM -GeForce 256 32 MB -Microsoft ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Mandrake 10

Hi all, I installed Mandrake 10 PowerPack and I'm having some problems. My PC configuration is this

-AthlonXP 2000+
    -A7N8X-x mobo (nForce2 chipset)
    -512 RAM
    -GeForce 256 32 MB
    -Microsoft USB mouse

When I first install the OS it runs ok for the first 30 min more or less, but then it freezes (can't even change terminals or anything), leaving only reboot as choice. But then, it won't even boot to the system anymore, freezing before it gets to the desktop. I tried using a PS/2 mouse, but didn't change a thing... Also, I installed Mandrake 3 times and this happened every one of them. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance

dont quote me

hey, im no expert, but did this system run other OS's fine? mabey the problem is sometype of hardwear compatability/ defective or overheating hardware.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it has been running Windows XP for 3 months now without any problems, it only happens in Mandrake [and only in this distro, I might add, Knoppix runs fine]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I just want to add that I have the same problem as CutterSlade. I tried mandrake 10 community and 10.0 official (download edition) and it freezes within 1 hour or during the booting. I also have winxp since 7-8 months without problems.
    My pc is also approximately the same as CutterSlade :
    -AthlonXP 2400+
    -512 RAM
    -Radeon 9600 pro 128 MB
    -Microsoft USB mouse

I suspect a problem with the motherboard but I'm no professionnal...

It would very appreciated if someone knows how to correct this problem
    Thanks
    Mathieu

Just Joined!
    GOOD NEWS!!!
    I upgraded my bios to version 1007 and it seems to work...i'm on mandrake 10 now and averything seems fine...no problems during booting...
    to upgrade the bios, go to http://www.asus.com/support/download...elName=A7N8X-X
    and download C18X1007.zip

I haven't tried 1009 cause i saw on internet that 1007 worked fine. Then, look in your mobo manual how tu upgrade the bios...takes 3 minutes...very simple...
    Hope it will work better....

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'll try that, thanks a bunch

Just Joined!
    i think that the problem is the mobo... i have the A7N8X dx (also nForce2) and i've been having very similar problems with mdk10.0... at first, it didn't even install! just randomly froze up on me during partitioning, copying files or installing bootloader...

what worked for me was to pass "noapic nolapic" to the kernel. during install you can add these options by pressing F1 for additional options instead of enter at the very beginning and typing "linux noapic nolapic".

to add the options after install, you have to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file. just add the 2 options to the beginning of every "append=..." line so that it looks like "append=noapic nolapic ...".

if you can boot into mandrake, you can also use the control center to do the previous step. just add the two options to the advanced options textbox in the bootloader configuration.

Linux Newbie

Re: Problems with Mandrake 10

Hi,
    If i were you, I would have removed the GeForce 256.
    Doesnt nforce2 have a Geforce4 Onboard?

Quote Originally Posted by CutterSlade
    Hi all, I installed Mandrake 10 PowerPack and I'm having some problems. My PC configuration is this

-AthlonXP 2000+
    -512 RAM
    -GeForce 256 32 MB
    -Microsoft USB mouse

When I first install the OS it runs ok for the first 30 min more or less, but then it freezes (can't even change terminals or anything), leaving only reboot as choice. But then, it won't even boot to the system anymore, freezing before it gets to the desktop. I tried using a PS/2 mouse, but didn't change a thing... Also, I installed Mandrake 3 times and this happened every one of them. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance
    You are the one Linux!