Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys, i have tried to install linux many a times but always i keep getting the same error as "connection reset by peer: terminated after 0 known requests and 0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

serious problem

guys,
    i have tried to install linux many a times but always i keep getting the same error as "connection reset by peer: terminated after 0 known requests and 0 pending.

in fact, last time i tried, the cds were being media checked my pc suddenly went into the standby mode but could not return back to normal state. this same problem occured with fedora 1, slackware and red hat linux 8 as well as red hat linux 9.

is there something wrong with asus motherboards as in is linux incompatible or something or some setting needs to be done for linux to run smoothly.

looking forward to some solutions...

Not sure I follow here, these are disparate issues: connection reset by peer: terminated after 0 known requests and 0 pending. [seems to indicate network problem]

cds were being media checked my pc suddenly went into the standby mode but could not return back to normal state. this same problem occured with fedora 1, slackware and red hat linux 8 as well as red hat linux 9. [how long was the media check?]
    Media check is to verify the integrity of the cd.
    More info would help.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Naveen_007,
    I'm having similar problems. I just baught a second hand 20GB hard disk, and I get various freezes while trying to instal Fedora, Mandrake 10 and 9.2, Slackware.

I've tried moving the new hard disk to various positions (on either IDE cable) to no avail.

I'm a little worried that one of the following is my problem

1) The new 20GB drive is duff (I downloaded to utilities diskette and it all checks out. An then I did a low level format of the 20GB disk, and still no joy)
    2) The 256MB SDRAM that I recently installed is giving problems (but then my other OSs run just fine - Win98, WinXP, and Fedora Core 1)
    3) My processor is overheating. (the hard ware monitor in BIOS tells me that its running at 73 degrees, as opposed to the 59 degrees it was running during the winter).

I'll let you know if I find the cuplret.

As to your error messages, the thing to remember about X (the GUI used in Linux) is that it was originally designed to be run over a network (central hosts with the client program and semi-dumb terminals with the X server program). So you may find yourself with network like error messages, even though both parts of X (the client and the server) are on the same PC .

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    turned out to be my power supply.

The case that I use (which had a power supply already installed) originally had a little Celeron processor in it. I then changed the mobo to an Athlon one. Then I added a second hard disk, then I added a DVD drive, then I added an AGP graphics card, then I added a third hard disk and 256MB stick of memory. All of this ended up to be too much for my 300watt power supply. So I've just installed a 400watt supply that also has two fans, and now all is well again with my PC. The processor is now back down to 50 degrees C, and everything works.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

I'm using asus motherboards and videocards in allmost all my computers.
    Never had any problem with it.
    How much hardware is connected in it and how strong is you powersupply ?
    Is you CPU overclocked ?
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    i'll bet installing slack 9.1 with ethier ext3 or reiser fs would go real smooth for you.