Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I work remotely with X applications. Is there a possibility, If I start an X application remotely, that I can later show it on the local display? Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X remotely and local

Hi all,

I work remotely with X applications.

Is there a possibility, If I start an X application remotely, that I can later show it on the local display?

Is it possible and how is it possible?

thanks in advance

VNC to the rescue

Yes you can definately do this (in a very cool way).
    You will need two things:
    • VNC server set up on your server
    • A VNC viewer on your client

VNC is the program you need. I don't know what distrobution you are using but, you can follow this Gentoo "how to" and just ignore wherever it says 'emerge' which means install it on your distrobution:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_x11vnc

It will explain two methods to set VNC up (I recommend the Second method). The result will be the ability to type:

Code:
    $ vncviewer -via yourserver.yourdomain localhost:0
    and a little remote desktop-like window will pop up and you will be able to control your desktop on this server (if you are already logged in).

The alternative method is to have a normal 'virtual' VNC session running, that will only be accessible via a 'vncviewer' command. This "how to" is here:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RealVNC...tVNC%2C_XF4VNC
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Just Joined!
    thank you for your quick reply jpalfree!

I set up VNC through SSH yesterday and it works.

One thing... I need to log in on the local machine before I can actually connect to the server?

Some questions though... I explain to you the situation I had yesterday...
    I connected to vncserver on port 5901 and I get the prompt asking for my password. I type it in and get on the desktop with the TWM windowmanager.
    I wanted to exit the session and I type exit on xterm. After that I choose Exit in the TWM menu.
    After that, I can't do anything... the connection is still there. Because, after I close the window and reconnect I get the same screen.
    So I thought... Lets restart the vncserver service ("service vncserver start").
    After this, I get the same problem.
    THen I look at the running processes that contain vnc and I kill them(server side).
    Now I can't connect... After a while I found something that I have to type(server side): "vncserver" or something like that. After this it works again.

Now my question:
    Why is there a service and a commandline tool that I need to be able to connect to the vncserver?
    It is not normal that I have to kill these processes, is it? So, how can I stop the vncsession? So in case of, Next time I connect, the standard programs get started(TWM and xterm).

Do I have to be logged in on the server machine before I can start a vncsession? Or can I also log in with ssh and then start it? Or what if I didnt login and just try to connect to the server?

Greetings

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not entirely sure but i think the difference between the service and the commandline tool is that the service integrates with Xorg, so that you can log in to your normal X session (like remote desktop) and the commandline tool is to start a virtual vnc server that is only viewable using 'vncviewer'

If you want to kill a vnc session, you can do this:
    Code:
    $ vncserver -kill PORT
    you can definitely ssh to the server and start a virtual vnc session like this:
    Code:
    $ vncserver :PORT -geometry 800x600 #change to whatever resolution you want
    hope that helps

Just Joined!
    I think that answers most of my questions

But why is it possible to exit the window manager and the xterm (so there is no app left)? Then I cant do anything with it and have to kill the proccess.

or can I start apps from another session (locally on the terminal) and send that app to the desired screen?

thx again for your efforts!

greetings

We are reaching the extent of my knowledge of vnc, but i'll give it a shot

I think the reason that you can exit all apps (and not do anything else) is because once you kill all apps, there is no fallback for a vnc session. In X it would just load gdm or kdm so that you can login again, but vnc doesn't have this.

If you want to load different window managers/apps you can look for a ~/.vnc/xstartup file. You should be able to put things like this in it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    xrdb $HOME/.Xresourses
    /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome & #a bit gentoo specific
    #blackbox & # to start blackbox, 
    ##etc...