Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for information concerning securing my online connection (as much as posible). I have been a Windows user for many, many years and used a program called HopspotVPN2 using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

online security issue

I'm looking for information concerning securing my online connection (as much as posible). I have been a Windows user for many, many years and used a program called HopspotVPN2 using 256k encryption, that cost me about 10 dollars per month on a yearly contract. To my knowledge I was never infected or spyed upon.(I watched as much as I could, knowing WinXP with all the spyware and anti-viruse programs being active) So I felt safe...
    I'm now using Ubuntu 6.06 and would like to secure my online connection as best as possible. The company that provided me with HotspotVPN2 also has a Linux version, but I want to go into the Linux community to research this further before "purchasing" a solution. I'm aware of "OpenVPN", Tor, Privoxy and I'm sure there may be others. I have also heard that Tor / Privoxy are very slow. My concern also is the compatiability with Network Manager, my home connection has WAP2 Personal security with a passprase. My goal is to travel to different "Coffee cafes" and surf the net...Being as Safe as possible. Along with this is the need for a scanning program to monitor my online connection.

Any help would be appreciated...

George

HotspotVPN2 also has a Linux version...
    What were/are you using it for exactly?

I have also heard that Tor / Privoxy are very slow.
    tor is not lightning fast, but my experience has been that it performs (about) as well as a comparable commercial service I used to pay for.

my home connection has WAP2 Personal security with a passprase
    I haven't set up a GNU/Linux box with WPA2 PSK, but from reading other posts it seems that plenty of folks have.

Along with this is the need for a scanning program to monitor my online connection.
    What does that mean? What aspects of your connection do you want to monitor?

Just Joined!

Online security issues

Hi Anomie,
    I used HotspotVPN2 at Coffee shops when I lived in MI, USA (now in Raleigh, NC, USA) that provided open wireless. HopspotVPN2 is a encrypted tunneling (I think some form of tpc?) software that connected to a secure proxy server, somewhere out there. (The tunneling allowed my web search to get beyond the access point?) The strength of the encryption determined monthly cost. To my knowledge it proved a secure connection to do my financial and personal business anywhere I could find a open connection. Was very fast and just worked.
    I used this software on my WinXP IBM R51 Laptop for 2 full years, and was very happy with it. I'm fully aware that nothing is "Perfect" and if someone wants in he will get there, I'm just trying to keep the little guys honest.

Now I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 and looking to bring my laptop back to the level I enjoyed with WinXP. I had every anti-virus and spy-ware program ever written for XP so I watched as close as I could with no hits...
    My Ubuntu concerns are the compatibility with Network-Manager, it took me a while get it working so don't want to screw that up. I remember a openVPN version of N-M. OpenVPn is NOT what I want I need the security of encryption that is part of HotSpotVPN2...

I mentioned about a program to monitor my online connection (to see if someone is looking at my connection), I read about a Linux program that did that. Lost track of the name, was why I asked on this post. Really looking for help and information on this. This Linux is all new for me and very interested in learing more.

Hope this helps with your questions...

George

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The tunneling allowed my web search to get beyond the access point
    Ok, I see what you mean. The software/service provides an encrypted connection to some external server (outside of the wireless zone you are in), so at least in that wireless zone your plain-text traffic will not be snooped.

I don't know of anything directly analogous in the GNU/Linux world, but that doesn't mean it does not exist. I have a friend who travels frequently and set up a similar arrangement using ssh -- he forwards all outbound http traffic to a ssh server he has at home, which forwards the traffic from there to the appropriate destination.

Like the solution you're describing, this encrypts the traffic from your notebook to your server that's providing encryption. Beyond that point it's the usual plain-text traffic.

I mentioned about a program to monitor my online connection (to see if someone is looking at my connection)
    I don't understand how this would be possible. There are many ways someone could be snooping your traffic, and there is no way you would know. Maybe someone else knows what you're referring to.