Find the answer to your Linux question:
can we fabricate linux onto a PROM and place on the motherboard? So that we need not to use Hard disks in our systems. A best solution to reduce piracy, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Onboard-OS

can we fabricate linux onto a PROM and place on the motherboard? So that we need not to use Hard disks in our systems. A best solution to reduce piracy, virus safe OS.

Linux-as-BIOS would be interesting, but I guess I don't see how it would get rid of viruses or "piracy".
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by burntfuse
    Linux-as-BIOS would be interesting, but I guess I don't see how it would get rid of viruses or "piracy".
    Hello Thank you for the reply. As we normally cant change the BIOS, If we write OS on ROM then that also cant be changed. Hence virus can attack only when on the RAM and if we restart the problem disappears.
    Next its costlier to copy data on a ROM to another hence new one only preferable than a pirated one so no piracy upto my knowledge. If not please reply me.

I'd say that corrupting the OS is only one of the many problems viruses cause - that wouldn't protect against viruses messing with personal files, adding themselves to programs, or spreading by e-mail.

As for piracy, it would make it just a little harder to copy the OS, but since when has copying Linux been illegal?

Just Joined!
    Hello, I think a virus must first start with OS to be active. And if there is no access to that then how can it attack the system's personal files. And next is we cant do with the files if there is no virus.

For piracy, why to consider only the Linux we can implement any OS MAC,Windows, enterprise Linux,etc.,

This is already being done. The advantages you list are kind of off though.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/links/LK8294110575.html

That's a pretty interesting project.

Hello, I think a virus must first start with OS to be active. And if there is no access to that then how can it attack the system's personal files. And next is we cant do with the files if there is no virus.
    Um, no. A virus doesn't have to integrate itself with the kernel to cause problems. Suppose that you write a program which shows a fake error message and deletes everything from your home directory. You run it, and it erases files. It doesn't have to patch the kernel for that. It could also patch a binary for a part of the system (like gnome-panel) or a commonly-used program.

A virus can reside in a printer's memory and attempt to attack addresses in the computer's RAM, really, a virus can do anything.