Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gentoo is up and running. Amazingly. Anyways, I need to ge tthings going on it and would like some help/pointers etc. 1. What should I be doing with emerge to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Gentoo help

Gentoo is up and running. Amazingly.

Anyways, I need to ge tthings going on it and would like some help/pointers etc.

1. What should I be doing with emerge to keep the lists up to date? Is it emerge sync?

2. What does emerge -k filename do as opposed to without the -k?

3. I need to get alsa up and running. Is it a case of emerge all the packages and then all systems are go or is there some scripts I need to run?

4. Anything else I need to do?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

A1, Once a day do an emerge sync to sync your portage tree with the master one and then do emerge -upv world to see what is being updated and emerge -u world to actualy do the update. Check out the portage guide.

A2, -k uses pre-built packages instead of compiling from source.

A3, Just enable it in the kernel and thats all you need but remember to have -alsa in your use flags since its in the kernel you dont need the packages they will just die before building anyway.

A4, Look into USE flags these can make quite a differnce in the system you have!! There is a list of use flags here and a guide to what they are is here.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    A1, Once a day do an emerge sync to sync your portage tree with the master one and then do emerge -upv world to see what is being updated and emerge -u world to actualy do the update. Check out the portage guide.

A2, -k uses pre-built packages instead of compiling from source.

A3, Just enable it in the kernel and thats all you need but remember to have -alsa in your use flags since its in the kernel you dont need the packages they will just die before building anyway.

A4, Look into USE flags these can make quite a differnce in the system you have!! There is a list of use flags here and a guide to what they are is here.
    Did I include it in the kernel? Dunno.

What should I do to find out?
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    first, which kernel sources are you using? gentoo-sources or gentoo-dev-sources? or some other set? if you're using gentoo-sources, then you're using a 2.4 kernel.. gentoo-dev-sources is 2.6... if you're using 2.4, you need to emerge the following: alsa-driver alsa-libs alsa-utils
    then you'll need to modprobe the module for your soundcard.. also, you will have to re-emerge alsa-driver everytime you recompile your kernel...
    if you're using 2.6, all you have to do is enable alsa in the kernel when you config it.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer

I will do the alsa thing when me portage is updated.

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido