Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
is is legal to copy them? I would imagine since they are freeware. Are all linux CDs the same, that is if I had 10 different ubuntu CDs and wee ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap

copying linux CDs

is is legal to copy them? I would imagine since they are freeware.

Are all linux CDs the same, that is if I had 10 different ubuntu CDs and wee to copy them to NRG/ISO and run a compare for each file they would be the same? I would imagine since its the same app so should be da same content.

W/ windoze I think each CD is different cuz of a product key to prevent piracy, but w/ linux there is no product key to make each CD different and its freeware which takes us back to:

Quote Originally Posted by me

Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    Yes, as long as it's not a commercially-sold Linux like Xandros, you can copy it to your heart's content. (You can copy Xandros OCE, just not the commercial boxed version.)

Are all linux CDs the same, that is if I had 10 different ubuntu CDs and wee to copy them to NRG/ISO and run a compare for each file they would be the same? I would imagine since its the same app so should be da same content.
    They should all be the same, as long as we're talking about the same release (all 6.10 for instance).

W/ windoze I think each CD is different cuz of a product key to prevent piracy, but w/ linux there is no product key to make each CD different and its freeware which takes us back to:
    No, actually the Microsoft Product Activation Key is totally separate and not included inside the CD proper. It's entered in after the install and the only thing the CD does is verify it according to a mathematical algorithm (and later against an online database when you activate it).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    If the CDs for wndoze are the same, how come cetain keys only work for certain CDs?

Also, so I can copy linux CDs except for pay ones like PC Linux OS, kinda like windows. If I had the pay ones would I atleast be able to make a backup?

What are the benifits of paying?

If the CDs for wndoze are the same, how come cetain keys only work for certain CDs?
    You're probably thinking of OEM versus non-OEM discs. When a manufacturer like Dell includes an OS disc with their computers, they provide the OEM disc (it is meant for the Original Equipment Manufacturer). These discs have specific activation keys and will not work on non-OEM versions of MS Windows.

All OEM keys will work on all OEM discs, to the best of my knowledge, and all non-OEM keys will work on all non-OEM discs.

Also, so I can copy linux CDs except for pay ones like PC Linux OS, kinda like windows. If I had the pay ones would I atleast be able to make a backup?
    If the Linux distribution is commercial, you'll need to read their user agreement to determine what rights (if any) you have to make copies. For non-commercial Linux distributions this doesn't matter; you can make as many copies as you like and give them away or charge for them.

What are the benifits of paying?
    That depends entirely on the company. I can't really offer any more general information unless you ask about a specific product. There are benefits to Xandros Deluxe versus Xandros OCE (the free one), just the same as there are benefits to Mandriva Power Pack versus Mandriva Free. Whether these benefits are worth paying for depends entirely on you.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    like if I piad for xandros, would it be better than ubuntu, cuz for ubuntu paying helps get faster delivery..

About OEM, I think for Win98 Cds the keys were different, I didnt have to actuivate me XP after installing, only type a products key, but would any key work? Just at the back the number is listed is different?

what are you getting at here, it looks to me as if you are not making sense. clear up what you want to say in sentence structure. what exactly is the point of this thread. another thing is that windows and Linux are not alike in anyway so its pointless to continue trying to get a comparison made.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

like if I piad for xandros, would it be better than ubuntu, cuz for ubuntu paying helps get faster delivery..
    There's more to consider than just faster delivery. Ubuntu doesn't include any codecs for multimedia playback or 3D accelerated drivers. Xandros Deluxe will install your 3D drivers for you (worth the price if you have an ATI card) along with all the multimedia playback. Xandros also comes with CrossOver Office (a $50 program) for free.

On the other hand, Ubuntu is compatible with the Debian repositories (for the most part) and lets you change your desktop environment to whatever you like. There are a number of pros and cons for both. Look at the Xandros site for more details.

About OEM, I think for Win98 Cds the keys were different, I didnt have to actuivate me XP after installing, only type a products key, but would any key work? Just at the back the number is listed is different?
    If you didn't have to activate XP, you got the OEM version. Companies like Dell and HP made deals with Microsoft to allow those installs to auto-activate. People who buy XP from the store have to activate it within 30 days of every install and re-activate if they change a certain number of hardware components. Why are you so worried about this? It's completely off topic.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    where can I get an MP3 codec for ubuntu?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    what are you getting at here, it looks to me as if you are not making sense. clear up what you want to say in sentence structure. what exactly is the point of this thread. another thing is that windows and Linux are not alike in anyway so its pointless to continue trying to get a comparison made.
    I wanna know if x numers of CDs are the same, like if I have 10 ubuntu CDs can I give away 9, since they all have the same, or do each one have different data so I may need them all depsnding on what I wanna do, techiemoe made it pretty clear that CDs of the same distro and same version are the same..

where can I get an MP3 codec for ubuntu?
    did you install Ubuntu?
    anyways, you can install mp3 codecs through Automatix or EasyUbuntu.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast