Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there, i am looking for a system that runs with old hardware (P350/128MB) and should do nothing more than starting a webbrowser. that`s all. it's a computer free to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need a system for webbrowsing only

hi there,

i am looking for a system that runs with old hardware (P350/128MB) and should do nothing more than starting a webbrowser. that`s all.

it's a computer free to use for everyone, so there must not be a possibility to hack the system and change something.

maybe someone knows the fli4l project, it'a router wich runs from floppy disk. you can do all settings by editing some config text files, then start the build process and the floppy will be compiled. that would be my favourite kind of creating the os. just edit some files (set IP etc.) and get a system wich boots a webbrowser without the possibility to change ANYTHING (or get a console or whatever).

any ideas?

There are a few distro that are made to be kiosks. I found http://boothbox.sourceforge.net/ which is based on damn small linux, so should work fine with that system. A google search will turn up some more (I don't recall their names currently).
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    thx vergil, i am currently downloading the live-cd (wich is recommended by the author for tryout, even if i don't want the final system running from cd cause of poor performance i expierienced with othe cd distros).

as soon as i can say how it works, i will post it.

of course i tried to google other kiosk systems before, but most of them were commercial ones or really complex systems with a wide range of featueres, more for expert users. currently i am not dealing that much with linux, even if i just set up a another fli4l router here, but i am willing to learn

Just Joined!
    booth runs fine if DHCP is available and the hardware is supported. i tried it at home, my IBM T40 works just fine, but my pc (Epox EP-8RDA+ / XP2600+ / A7600GS) is not working with the live cd. i guess it is the graphics card wich is not supported, because the monitor does not go into power save mode (but nothing's on the screen).

unfortunately we do not have DHCP here, so there are two ways to get it working. i could remaster the live cd and get my customized booth version with the appropriate settings for our LAN. or i could reconfigure our fli4l router to offer DHCP for the kiosk's subnet (there is only one pc in this subnet).

i would prefer the first version, but as i am not that familiar with linux (i tried to understand the booth remastering guide, but i've got a lack of basic* knowledge it seems...) i will have to take option two.

what i said before about poor performance with live cd distros is not that important here, because there is nothing much to load after the system is started once. so that should be ok.

after testing the original kiosk hardware running the live cd there is a new problem showing up. the keyboard is built in, and the layout is german. the booth keyboard layout isn't german, of course... damn! maybe i've got to learn some basics*...