Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a problem rearranging the partitions on my hard drive and have not been able to find useful information anywhere else - so I was hoping someone here can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition Troubles

I'm having a problem rearranging the partitions on my hard drive and have not been able to find useful information anywhere else - so I was hoping someone here can help me. My hard drive is basically split up like this:

1) A 55 gb primary partition which Windows XP is on
    2) A 33 gb extended partition which includes
    I) A Linux swap partition
    II) An empty partition (which can alternatively be unallocated space)
    III) An Ext2 Partition for Fedora Core 6
    IV) An NTFS partition for data files
    3) A 20 gb primary partition for Windows Vista

When trying to take space away from the XP partition (1), I ended up making the empty partition (II). I actually want that space to go into the NTFS partition (IV), but I have been completely unsuccessful. Any idea how I can merge two partitions on an extended partition?

its not possible in your partition setup. Extended Partition is 'in between' two Primary Partitions.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Is there a way I can move the second primary partition in front of the extended partition?

NO. its not possible. either delete Second Primary Partition, drag Extended to last OR delete Extended and drag Second Primary Partition. you can't Jump the partitions over each other.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First