Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I would like to know, if I build my own distro from scratch, or I modify it from another distro, how do I make an installable iso like all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

developing my own distro

Hello

I would like to know, if I build my own distro from scratch, or I modify it from another distro, how do I make an installable iso like all the other ones have? for example, if I have a great system I have and I want to be able to send it to people as an official distro, how do I get it on a CD and create an installer like fedora/redhat/whatever and not just have an image of the hard drive. I hope people know what I mean....thanks.

Just Joined!
    Why? Do you know how many distros there are? Its already very fragmented.

That said, basically all you are doing is taking a distro and changing the configuration. So why don't you just write a how to?

Once you get that done the technical hurdles to actually creating your own distro will be lower.

oz
    forum.guy
    Indeed, there are already a huge number of distros available, so unless you plan on making a distro that's really different, it's best to contribute to an already established distribution.

If you still want to build your own, look at:

http://www.rocklinux.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    oz

You can take a look the Ubuntu Reconstructor project. It will allow you to build a customized version of Ubuntu in no time.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

ok maybe I didn't say it clear. I may distribute my own distro, but I mainly want it for myself. I will explain in detail. I am visually impaired and use a screen rereader for the gnome desktop. It is called Orca, developed in python. I want to construct my own distro so I can install all my own aps and have my own themes so I can distribute it to other people who have disabilities. and yes I know there are other distros that cator to the disabled but they aren't real distros. I am working towards a full gnome desktop distro with customization and accessibility and all necessary aps minus the games/other nonsense programs a blind/disabled person probably wouldn't utilize...Thanks.