Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, create the directories /mnt/win/1, /mnt/win/2, /mnt/win/3 and /mnt/win/4, then run the command I gave you, to mount /dev/hdb1 in /mnt/win/1, /dev/hdb2 in /mnt/win/2 and so on. If it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, create the directories /mnt/win/1, /mnt/win/2, /mnt/win/3 and /mnt/win/4, then run the command I gave you, to mount /dev/hdb1 in /mnt/win/1, /dev/hdb2 in /mnt/win/2 and so on.
    If it is an explanation of the actual command that you want, tell me so, and I'll try my best to explain it. It's a pretty complex command. Note that the apostrophes in `seq 1 4` aren't really apostrophes, though, but so called "backticks". If you have a U.S. English keyboard, they are produced by the button to the left of your 1 key, ie. the key that also can produce a tilde. You can also write $(seq 1 4) if you find that easier.
    The bottom line is that command I gave you is the same as running these four commands:
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win/1
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb2 /mnt/win/2
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb3 /mnt/win/3
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb4 /mnt/win/4

Just Joined!
    ok I understand that but now I have a much bigger problem! it only recognizes 1 partition (cause windows labeled the drive partitions as dynamic instead of basic) and the only files I have acess to are the ones I dont need at the beginning of the drive (drive D: of d e f and g) what do I do??

Linux Guru
    Now that is a really big problem. Support for this Dynamic Disks thing is still experimental in Linux (since its a closed-standard Microsoft invention). To use it, you will need to recompile your kernel.

Just Joined!
    *GETS COMPLETELY HORRIFIED!!*

Just Joined!
    Ok if you can, help me through this please, because the files that i so desperately need are much deeper into the drive. I need those files.

Linux Guru
    Dear god (or should I say dear Linus? =) )...
    Recompiling your kernel isn't really something I'd like to someone who doesn't even know his shell (no offense).
    Furthermore, I haven't used these Dynamic Disks myself, so I don't know how well they work. They are marked as EXPERIMENTAL in the kernel source, but that usually means that it works, only maybe not as stable or well tested as it should be. At least it isn't marked DANGEROUS, so there shouldn't be any danger in using it.
    Isn't there any other way we can solve this? Can't you give me ssh access to your system or something, so that I can do it for you?

Just Joined!
    Actualy I looked into the Kernal KConfiguration tool and found the setting to install the dynamic disk setting. I just need to know what it means by run the command
    "make symlinks dep" Do I type that exactly like that into the console or is it more complicated than that? See im not a total idiot (and im sure you dont think so anyway) I was pretty much a Windows Guru, but my system suffered a terrible partitioning error that wiped out windows and everything on the hard disk that it was installed on. Linux is new to me but I am slowly warming up to it. I will consider the shell account only if its absolutely neccesary. Keep in mind I have SuSE Linux 8.0 Professional. It has a great, easy to use setup system. initialy choosing to install support for the microsoft dynamic disk is as point and click. it just tells you to run "make symlinks dep" afterwards. so just tell me exactly what that means and what exactly to do with it (and where if its not the in console)And I should be fine.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, it's a bit more complicated than that. First, do you have your kernel source installed? Then, have you configured the rest of the kernel configuration options to match your hardware?
    If you can answer yes to the above, you must go to your kernel sources, run "make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install". Then you must copy the bzImage file (which is the new compressed kernel image) from the arch/i386/boot directory to an appropriate name in your /boot directory and update your LILO/GRUB configuration. If you have LILO, you must also run lilo to update your boot sector.
    That's about it, though. It's not as hard as one might think, but it can be hard to get the configuration right.

Just Joined!
    ok well I had some other problems I couldnt seem to remedy do I reinstalled the OS. So what I have to do is use YaST2 to install the sources. then make sure I get my hardware drivers up to date and configure the kernal configtool with MY hardware setting. then choose to add dynamic disk support, and then run that long chain of commands?

Linux Guru
    Well, I don't know how this kernel configtool of yours works, but I'm not sure that it saves the configuration to the actual kernel source tree. If you're going to use that, I can't help you. The better solution is to run "make xconfig" in the kernel sources to get the kernel's real configurator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast