Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all I am trying to copy some tar.gz and .bz2 files from my linux partition to my USB drive some of the files copy and some dont...I get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB copy problem

hi all
    I am trying to copy some tar.gz and .bz2 files from my linux partition to my USB drive
    some of the files copy and some dont...I get the following errors

cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/mp3blaster-3.2.0.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/mplayerplug-in-3.35.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/nasm-0.98.39.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/ntfsprogs-1.13.1.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/openquicktime-2.0.0a1.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/pango-1.14.9.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/xmms-1.2.10.tar.gz': Operation not supported
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/sdb2/latback/fc5ess/yasm-0.5.0.tar.gz': Operation not supported

I mounted my USB drive using ntfsmount and it mounts ok...tried copying those files to a directory in linux and that goes well too...so theres no problem with the files...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

I'm not sure but I think ntfsmount has just partial write support, use ntfs-3g
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

Unhappy to juan pablo

..sorry for the late reply...installed ntfs-3g...but when i mount my usb drive i get the following warning..

WARNING: Deficient FUSE kernel module detected. Some driver features are
    not available (swap file on NTFS, boot from NTFS by LILO), and
    unmount is not safe unless it's made sure the ntfs-3g process
    naturally terminates after calling 'umount'. The safe FUSE kernel
    driver is included in the official Linux kernels since version
    2.6.20-rc1, or in the FUSE 2.6.0 or later software packages,
    except the faulty FUSE version 2.6.2. Please see the next page
    for more help: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#fuse26

have installed the latest version of fuse ...fuse-2.6.3.tar.gz...any ideas...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Exclamation to all

whoever is using ntfs-3g better be careful..i got a "volume is dirty" message
    when i tried to mount my usb drive with ntfsmount after trying to mount it with ntfs-3g ...had to run chkdsk in windows before i could mount it with ntfsmount again....

Just Joined!
    for me the problem was solved by installing the latest version of ntfs-3g. It's the version from 2014. You can get it at *this forum is bad because I may not post the link* but anyway. google tuxera and ntfs-3g.

How is the USB drive formated many come with FAT32 so Windows, Mac, and Linux can read it. Win32 has file size and naming limits Linux filesystem doesn't.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.