Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have an old P2:233Mhz, 96MB of RAM, 5gb HDD and NO networking computer which I plan on using for small software development purposes. I'm looking for some recommendations ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Old Box for Software / Web Development Only

Hello,

I have an old P2:233Mhz, 96MB of RAM, 5gb HDD and NO networking computer which I plan on using for small software development purposes. I'm looking for some recommendations regarding which light weight distro could be used for such purposes? The languages that will be used most frequently are:
    • JAVA
    • PERL
    • C
    • C++
    • PHP
    • PYTHON
    • LISP

The box will be seldom used for web-application development, so, a web browser and web server will to be required.

I have tested DSL and Slackware (each running fluxbox) which are both ok, however I wanted to know if anyone has built similar systems or has any advice regarding distros etc.

Thank you

Check out this site for an excellent tutorial on building a Debian based server. Be sure to at least take a glance at each of the linked pages to get a sense of what you can do (or skip) as needed. I built my sever on an old box using these tutorials and it worked out great. The author put in a lot of effort to the site.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?