Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux greenhorn (newbie) using SuSE 9.0. Attempting to install APT (required by Synaptic - my original goal). "./configure" and "make" appeared to run correctly, but I can't tell for certain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop

Linux greenhorn (newbie) using SuSE 9.0.
    Attempting to install APT (required by Synaptic - my original goal).

"./configure" and "make" appeared to run correctly, but I can't tell for certain from scanning the config.log file. A "makefile" with today's date was generated by the process. The README file doesn't shed meaningful light. However, it tells me I need GNU Make 3.76.1 or newer; I have version 3.80.

When I type [su -c "make install'] and provide the root password, the subject of this post is the response I get. Being brand new to Linux, I haven't a clue whether this is common? rare? fixable? fatal? I haven't come across any indication that my goal of Synaptic on SuSE is doomed to failure.

Linux Newbie
    This is a fairly standard error =)

When you type the command
    Code:
    su -c "make install'
    I assume you are located in the directory where you downloaded the program.

what the error means, is that the make program either
    1) Can't find a correct Makefile
    2 ) Finds a correct Makefile, but the makefile doesn't include a target (a method if you so will) called install.

Just Joined!
    Thank you. Glad to know the universe hasn't singled me out.

Yes, I'm running "make install" from within the build directory. I examined "makefile", which chains to the parent "Makefile". Neither contains the word "install" per se.

I understand programmer-speak about as well as I understand lawyer-speak. The words look familiar, but I don't always comprehend the meaning.

That said, I believe the documentation tells me that the parent launches subordinate make files within the various build sub-directories. The presence of "makefile" in several of the sub-directories suggests this may be a plausible interpretation. A random sample finds the word "install" (or variants) in some of these files but not in others.

I may be in over my head. In any event, my SuSE 9.1 CDs arrived today. So I'll shelve the Synaptic project for now, backup the system, and proceed to find out whether I can break it entirely. Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    One should never give up =)

but starting of with SuSE is probably a good way to go.
    both SuSE and RedHat and the other big "commercial" distributions come with many handy-dandy tools to fix pretty much everything.

and when you feel like you are in total control,
    then you can always migrate to a more "difficult"
    distribution

Good luck anyway!

//ooop

Linux Guru
    generally, ./config makes the 'make' file and 'make' makes the 'make install' files. If you're having a problem with make install, then chances are make didn't quite make it (ahh, the joys of linux).

It's easier if you just su to root to install a program, as you have to do several things. So, I assume that ./config worked b/c you've got make. What's the last few line when you run make (as root)?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude