Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem im having. Let start with SuSe: First I installed Suse 10.2 x86_64 with Reiser FS no problems. After initial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A distro that does it all

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem im having.

Let start with SuSe:
    First I installed Suse 10.2 x86_64 with Reiser FS no problems. After initial boot, it freezes up. No keyboard, mouse doesnt move. Nothing. After reboot I logon successful and then learn that I cant play my MP3 music that initially came from a Windows environment. AVI and MPEG/MPEG2. WMV video files do not play either. I install and format again but this time with Ext2 FS. Same problem. Tried Suse 10.2 x86 with both file systems same problem. I really got aggrevated when the problem followed me to Suse 10.0 and 10.1, both x86 and x86_64 and ext2 ext3 and reiser filesystems. AARRGGGHHH

So next I try Fedora Core 5 x86. Ext3 FS. Install no problem. Logon first time, then at random system locksup, same as above. Restart, music that came from a windows environmentdoesnt play as do video files (MPEG, AVI and WMV). Try install again with FC5 x86_64: same problems.

My Suse 9.1 CD is shot. Keeps installing with errors every single time (cracklib, gcc) I believe files necessary to boot suse 9.1 are failing to install but not worried about that.

So my question is who can recommend a distro that plays MP3 files and MPEG2, MPEG AVI WMV video from Windows system, a KDE window manager, can read NTFS partitions?

Note: I made SURE that I downloaded the 64-bit distro for AMD64 architecture. I checked the MD5 sums for every single one. I performed the media check for each install. And it all checked out fine.

Im running Athlon64 3200 2.2GHz, 1GB DDR333 SDRAM, nvidia FX5700LE, 480GB Maxtor IDE hard drives spanning 3 drives (non raid).

Most of Linux distros dont support mp3, mpeg formats out of box. you have to install necessary Codecs for these.
    check this link for SuSe.
    in Fedora, execute this
    for mp3
    Code:
    yum -y install xmms xmms-mp3
    for mpeg and other formats
    Code:
    yum -y install xine xine-libs xine-skins
    SimplyMepis supports these formats out of box.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by Kerpymon
    Note: I made SURE that I downloaded the 64-bit distro for AMD64 architecture.
    Why? There's no performance advantage right now for 64-bit distributions. You'd be just as well using the 32-bit version, and you're less likely to run into software compatibility problems.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have tried the 32 bit version of both distros but both give me the same problems with both file systems. It locks up at random. Plus 32bit also doesnt support mp3 and windows video files out of the box, but I will try the commands given to me, also MEPIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerpymon
    I have tried the 32 bit version of both distros but both give me the same problems with both file systems. It locks up at random. Plus 32bit also doesnt support mp3 and windows video files out of the box, but I will try the commands given to me, also MEPIS.
    If your system is locking up on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, something else is going on. Also, neither the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of any free distro will support mp3 or WMV out of the box for legal reasons. That's not something peculiar to the 32-bit version.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants