Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, my name is Chuck and i need some advise. I'm thinking of doing a dual boot with Linux and XP until i get use to Linux, which version of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Advise

Hello, my name is Chuck and i need some advise.

I'm thinking of doing a dual boot with Linux and XP until i get use to Linux, which version of Linux would you suggest.

Will it work with my Comcast high speed?
    Is there a desktop like windows? (I dont want to do all command line)

Chuck

hi sincalc,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

we can't tell you which Linux Distro is best and suitable for you. all distros have their on pros and cons. check here to get an idea. try as many as possible and find out yourself.
    all distros have Graphical User Interface. most common are GNOME and KDE.

no idea. if anyone is using it then you will definitely get a reply in this matter. post more details about your connection.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by sinclac
    I'm thinking of doing a dual boot with Linux and XP until i get use to Linux, which version of Linux would you suggest.
    Hey Chuck, welcome to the forums. This is an often asked question and most people are usually directed to this thread. Basically, any Linux distribution will automatically set up a dual boot system for you if you have Windows installed on the first partition of the HD (not the MBR).
    Is there a desktop like windows? (I dont want to do all command line)
    Yes, it should make use of your internet connection regardless of the provider. As far as desktops that are similar to Windows, Gnome and KDE are the most similar to Windows but even they have differences so it will be up to you to figure out which you are most comfortable with. Both are available during the installation process of many of the more popular distributions, should you choose to install one of them. I know, as a new user, the command line may seem difficult and intimidating at first but it will help you in your learning process if you get to know it. All Linux distributions are based on the Linux kernel and the best way to learn that is to use the command shell so even though many distributions will try to abstract those details into easy-to-use GUI interfaces, you will have an easier time learning Linux if you got to know bash and the command prompt.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: Casper beat me to it but I can tell you from personal experience that Comcast has not been an obstacle in me connecting to the Internet upon initial installation. All of the more popular distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE....) have easily picked up on my ethernet card and automatically connected to the Internet through the Comcast connection.

as Thrillhouse metioned, Comcast works pretty fine in a lot of popular distributions. pick any distro and check if Comcast works. if you find any problem, start a new thread.

Good Luck.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First