Find the answer to your Linux question:
we have an old program that pulls data out of a database and then generates some stats based upon the queries. the stats are all just numbers and percentages and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

does software or a package like this exist?

we have an old program that pulls data out of a database and then generates some stats based upon the queries. the stats are all just numbers and percentages and whatever.

i want to basically port this ability to our website for people to use, and getting the numbers and all that is easily done, but i was thinking it would be nice to be able to display some tables/graphs and whatnot using this data.

are there any packages/libraries/open source software that deals with creating graphs that are "web based" (for lack of a better word). something almost like a "statistics" kind of thing. ive googled a little bit, and im not really getting anywhere.

i want to display an up-to-date graph that is composed of data that came from a database query and then throw this into the page.

anyone know of anything.

thanks in advance....

I know bugzilla uses something for this, it is working on my bugzilla server. I suggest checking freshmeat and bugzilla's website.

If you don't mind writing a little PHP, there's a PEAR package that will do exactly what you're asking.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    awesome. i will check it out.

there is one more thing that i should add: this software has to be run on a microsoft box that basically i don't have much access to as far as configuration goes (ms server, not a ms box running apache...). i have never done any web programming for anything microsoft (why would anyone want to), so all of my experience lies in html/css/java/javascript/perl/php. im not scared or worried about .net stuff, but i have been able to avoid it thus far, but i think i might have to use it here.

i don't even know what you can run on a ms box...i am assuming i am probably going to have to stick to .net or regular old asp files. this(graphs, charts...) isnt necessarily a requirement for the project, but i thought it would be cool.

i will look at the pear code and bugzilla stuff. does anyone know of anything cool as far as .net or javascript goes (sorry i mentioned .net in "linuxforums.org")?

thanks a lot for the replies. i have avoided everything ms, but i think i am going to be forced into it here.

thanks

HTML, CSS, JS, Perl, PHP, etc. all are OS-independent. HTML, CSS, and JS are all client-side technologies and will therefore be affected by the browser the user runs, but the other are server-side technologies and will run on the server (though the browser will determine how to display it).

If you do need to use .NET, you can check out the Mono project to get a handle on it.

Best of luck!

Just Joined!
    yeah, i know that some are OS independent, as long as you can install the right packages. i am having to use a ms server which i cannot configure, so i cannot get php to work.

all this machine can handle is .net stuff. its old and i cant change anything as far as the configuration goes.

i still haven't decided what i am going to do. i have access to this other linux server, so i could create cgi-scripts in my preferred language on linux and just link to them from the ms box.

i have also found 2 cool "things" that look like they can do what I want. the first is plotkit, which is a javascript api that displays graphs via javascript, and they are fairly slick.

the second (which looks better) is flash based, and it is XML/SWF Charts. It is a flash based tool that will let one create some dynamic graphs.

it took me a long time to find these. maybe they can help someone else

I appreciate the help and effort.